Dealing with the Deluge of the Day

You think you had a busy day dodging rain drops, well you had company. TC blogs about the day's cloudburst and good and bad decisions he made in dealing with the monsoon.

Flash Flooding and Storm Tips

So how did you fare with today’s tropical downpours? Did the road at your house flood? Did you take on water in your basement? Did you get caught in the sudden cloudburst? On my way into work at 12:30, I saw stranded cars, college coeds walking thru calf deep water and rising streams.

My timetable starts with a 10AM radar update at WSAZ.COM and the Chris Bailey blog where I timed the rain to my house in Barboursville by 11:30. That meant I had an hour or so of dry time to get my walk around the lake in.

Here the power of the internet shone brightly as sure enough the first rain drops arrived on schedule (around 11:15) just after I slurped down a mug of cold lemonade at my next door neighbor’s house. Mildred’s dog Suzie was shaking up a storm of her own, a canine’s way of saying a big downpour with lightning was coming.

When I saw Josh’s 3D Doppler Radar scope at high noon, I knew we were in for a hectic afternoon. Red and Orange returns on radar meant torrential rains. Immediately my brain went to work on how my day would be affected.

Since Josh mentioned street flooding and his radar was lighting up in Huntington, I unplugged my Apple Computer and TV. No power surge from a lightning bolt was going to derail my electronics.

The wall of red on radar instinctively told me that the viaducts would flood. Instantly I made the decision to take the long way into work on Route 60 to 3rd avenue.

Two poor decisions I made came after I raced downstairs to prep for work. First I showered (not the best decision given a shower is not safe during an electrical storm but given that I had a ripe smell about me, a shower was a must) and then I blow dried my graying locks (dumb to have any electrical apparatus on or even around you during an electrical storm, but a must if I was to doll myself up for TV).

Back upstairs I went to place a call to work to tell Josh I would be in by 1 PM. Of course, unbeknownst to me, WSAZ had taken a direct lightning strike and was off the air. But my land line phone had been knocked out. Since I am one of the few humans in the civilized world who does not have a cell phone, I figured folks at work assumed I was heading in.

By now the rain was falling in tropical sheets, the type that would soak you in a matter of seconds. I grabbed my Kiwanis yellow slicker, covered my head with its hood, grabbed an umbrella and sloshed my way to the car. Remarkably, I made it to the car only partly wet.

As I passed under I-64 I could see cars moving at a mere 20 miles per hour. Traffic along Route 60 was bumper to bumper heading out of town, a sure sign to me that the viaducts had flooded.

Around Edward’s stadium, 3 lanes merged into a lane and half as the storm culverts rejected the monsoon. Gene Evans would measure almost 2 inches in the afternoon deluge.

It all happened in a matter of two hours as this latest “deluge of the day” did it best to throw me for a loop.
Read More Blogs
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability