Fog has socked the Ohio and Kanawha Valleys in. Visibilities have dropped down to where now the Yeager airport has joined in the misery. Mr. Woods from the Yeager tower tells me the late night commuter out of Chigao has been canceled and the Charlotte commuter is on hold and likely to be stuck at the Douglas airport for the night.
The Fog never did allow for any flights into HTS on Monday with only 1 commuter to Charlotte able to leave. That's one flight all day long!
Fog should lift in the morning as the next band of rain arrives. Until then, it's a night of pea soup. Welcome to London-town!
9 PM Update
The fog thinned for a few hours on Monday evening but by 9pm it lowered right back on top of Huntington's airport (HTS) all but assuring the rest of the night will not see any departures or arrivals at HTS. Save for 1 lonely flight, this has been a zero takeoff-arrival day at HTS.
Meanwhile, Charleston's Yeager airport (CRW) saw the fog set in for the first time all day around 8pm. The vast majority of flights have been unaffected at CRW on Monday and save for a few late arrivals, I expect the rest of the night to be fine.
Back to Huntington where the fog should remain dense through around 6 AM before scouring just enough between 7 and 10 to allow for flights to depart and arrive.
Read on below for more travel conditions expected for airports in the eastern USA.
Fog Hassles to Subside
I am rushing this blog to get new information out for pre-holiday travelers.
Let me state up front that Yeager airport in Charleston, Charlotte’s Douglas I’National (CLT) and Pittsburgh I-National (PIT) are all running without any weather delays. Later tonight, I sense some fog issues at PIT and CRW but likely after the commuters are through with their runs.
As of 5 pm, the Huntington Tri-State (HTS) airport has been socked in with a pea soup fog for 12 hours. At times the vision has been as low a city block. Dave Mousa for the HTS tower told me at 4 pm, “I have never seen the terminal so full of people”. That was Dave’s way of saying that local flights were not able to take off and folks were waiting for some break in the weather.
Then the 6 pm observation showed some hope as the horizontal visibility at HTS improved to 3 miles, 2 miles over the standard used to get planes into and out safely.
The trouble though at 6pm the vertical visibility was still running at 200 feet. That so called ceiling needed to improve to 250 feet for a flight to take off or arrive.
As of 6:30 pm, I was still pessimistic that conditions would improve much this evening since there was to be no wind to scour the fog away and since generally damp and cool fall nights allow for fog to thicken as the night grows older.
The winds will pick up a bit by sunrise Tuesday and as the temperature rises, fog will lift for daylight travelers.
Meanwhile, I have concerns for Pittsburgh's airport at dawn Tuesday. Fog and low ceilings should delay some flights then. Watch for heavy showers with gusty winds to arrive in the Steel City by late day so another round of poor flying conditions would be possible,
Charlotte should be on time Tuesday, then Tuesday night thru Wednesday morning offers a window of possible delays due to rain, thunder and low ceilings.