Families Lose Everything in Duplex Fire Follow-up

Two families, almost a dozen people total, are homeless as of Thursday night.

A kitchen fire burned their homes to the ground. This happened in a small town in southern Ohio. Neighbors and friends rallying to offer some sort of comfort:

This house fire started in the kitchen. The Knickle family was making buffalo wings, they tried to put the thing out with fire extinguisher, but there wasn't enough in the canister to get the job done.

"We had a dog, Molly, that didn't make it out. My oldest son is autistic and she was his best friend,” Shelly Knickle said.

April Easterling escaped with just the pajamas on her back. Her brother and boyfriend are ok and her children were safe at school.

"You don't have any time to get in and get out again, so you just have to get out with your lives. It's tragic," April said.

Three fire departments called to put this thing out. The initial panic was from friends and neighbors, who called the wrong family.

Jan Richendollar's clutch one of a mom who Thursday night, still doesn't want to let go.

"I just had to see her. I couldn't believe she was ok until I could see her and get my arms around her,” Jan said.

Franklin Furnace in Scioto County is a small town, where everyone knows everyone. Donations are already being accepted in town at Bailey's BP. The Red Cross has also been notified.

Mrs. Knickle's son, who was in the apartment when it started, is supposed to have surgery the day after Thanksgiving.

The good news in all of this is that everyone escaped with their lives.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 11392131 - wsaz.com/a?a=11392131