WSAZ Severe Weather Alert

UPDATE: South Point Family Receives "Smoke D.O.G." Award

By: WSAZ News Staff Email
By: WSAZ News Staff Email

SOUTH POINT, Ohio (WSAZ) -- A family from South Point has received the Smoke Detector On Guard (Smoke D.O.G.) Award from the Ohio State Fire Marshal and the South Point Volunteer Fire Department.

The Edmonds family was presented the award during a ceremony at South Point Volunteer Fire Department Tuesday night.

Back in the early morning hours of January 9, firefighters were called to the family’s home on 4th Street East.

Beverly Edmonds heard the smoke alarm go off and woke her children, Brandon and Anakin. Everyone was able get out okay.

The home was destroyed in the fire.

“The Smoke D.O.G. Award recognizes citizens like the Edmonds family who have saved their lives by responding to the warning sound of a smoke detector,” said State Fire Marshal Larry Flowers. “It is important to have working smoke detectors. Much like a guard dog, a smoke detector stands watch over the home both day and night.”

In 2010, Lawrence County suffered eight fire-related fatalities giving it the highest per-capita rate in the State of Ohio. The county’s firefighters responded by distributing more than 250 smoke alarms and conducting more than 50 fire safety programs. Lawrence County did not have a single fire-related death in 2011 or 2012.

In 2012, 90 fatal residential fires in Ohio claimed the lives of 106 people. Although a few are still undetermined, only nine homes of the 90 fatal fires are confirmed to have had working smoke detectors.



UPDATE 1/1113 @ 10:10 a.m.
SOUTH POINT, Ohio (WSAZ) -- A fire that forced a family of four to flee their house was likely caused by an electrical problem in the attic, according to the Ohio State Fire Marshal's Office.

The fire happened about 4:30 a.m. on January 9 at a home on 4th Street East in South Point.

Investigators say there were two adults and two children in the home at the time of the fire.

The family was able to escape the flames when one of the adults woke up to the smoke detector going off. She was then able to wake up the rest of the family and get them out safely.



UPDATE 1/9/13 @ 7:55 a.m.
SOUTH POINT, Ohio (WSAZ) -- Smoke detectors save lives, just ask a family from South Point after their house was destroyed in a fire Wednesday morning.

The fire near the corner of Rose Street and 4th Street was reported about 4:30 a.m.

South Point Fire Chief Mark Goodall tells WSAZ.com that everyone got out okay after they were alerted to the fire by working smoke detectors.

No word right now how the fire started.

The fire is affecting traffic on 4th Street (County Road 1). Chief Goodall says the road should be back open before 9 a.m.

The State Fire Marshal has been called to investigate.



ORIGINAL STORY 1/9/13 @ 6:28 a.m.
SOUTH POINT, Ohio (WSAZ) -- Firefighters are on the scene of a house fire.

The house caught fire about 4:30 a.m. Wednesday at the corner of Rose Street and 4th Street.

A neighbor of the family says everyone got out except for the family's dog.

The fire is affecting traffic on 4th Street which is also called County Road 1.

No official word yet on what started the fire.

We have a news crew on the scene.

Be sure to check back at WSAZ.com for the latest information.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 186146212 - wsaz.com/a?a=186146212