LAVALETTE, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A beloved school teacher died Friday morning after an electrical accident.
Pat Bias was standing at her home and talking with friends Monday evening when an electrical current came through her carport, and she was shocked.
She was rushed to the hospital and died Friday morning from her injuries.
"She is a fine Christian woman, she has helped tremendously with all kinds of people," explained her friend and coworker Gayle Curry.
"She was my only best friend but she had many friends, and all of her friends considered her their best friend. She was that kind of person," Deborah McIntyre explained.
For more than three decades, Bias taught second grade at Lavalette Elementary School. She even helped current teacher Cathy Gilliam learn how to teach.
"She was my mentor teacher when I did my student teaching. She helped me to love children and to serve children," said Gilliam who was at the school Friday setting up her classroom.
"Pat was one of those very excellent people that knew how to figure out exactly what the needs of that child were and meet them," Curry said.
Former student Kathy West said that her second-grade teacher always told them "patience is a virtue."
West remembered that Ms. Bias always gave her students who lost a tooth a piece of chocolate during class.
"She made my wedding cake, she made my shower cake," West said with a smile.
Her cakes were elaborate, and she made them for all occasions.
The week that she was hospitalized, Bias had several visitors who were former students.
"She was that kind of teacher, that students remembered even after they were adults they would come back to see her," McIntyre explained.
Bias is survived by her husband, a stepson, and her mother. She was her mother's caregiver.