Kerosene Space Heater Causes Fire in Milton

MILTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A space heater led to a fire in Milton Saturday afternoon.

The fire began just before 3 p.m. in a small storage shed behind Milton Dental Associates on South Main Street, where the owners stored chemicals, gasoline and paper products.

Chief Brent Taylor of the Milton Fire Department said he was not sure how exactly the fire happened, but that the owners started a kerosene-fueled space heater to warm the shed and left it unsupervised.

"If you use space heaters, just stay with them [and] be close to them at all times," Taylor said. "Don't assume that you can just light them and go somewhere else because they do malfunction."

The fire damaged most of what was in the shed, but it didn't spread to any of the nearby homes or buildings.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 189524901 -