UPDATE: 2 Convicted in Lucasville Prison Riot End Hunger Strike

By: The Associated Press Email
By: The Associated Press Email

UPDATE 5/8/13 @ 10:38 a.m.
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Two inmates sentenced for their roles in an historic Ohio prison riot say they have ended a nearly month-long hunger strike without winning the direct media access they sought.

Through a spokesman, Siddique Abdullah Hasan said he and Gregory Curry ended a protest Monday that began April 11, on the 20th anniversary of the deadly Lucasville uprising. Hasan was sentenced to death, Curry to life for their respective roles.

Hasan, formerly Carlos Sanders, said the strike drew attention among journalists, legal advocates and prison officials to his constitutional concerns over being denied on-camera interviews.

He said Warden David Bobby bargained in good faith but top officials at the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction could not be swayed.

A spokeswoman says such interviews violate department policy.

LUCASVILLE, Ohio (AP) -- Three of five Ohio inmates sentenced to death for a historic prison riot plan a hunger strike starting on the uprising's 20th anniversary Thursday to protest the state's refusal to allow them sit-down media interviews on their cases.

The state has had two decades to tell its side of the story and the inmates known as the Lucasville Five should have their chance, Siddique Abdullah Hasan said in an exclusive telephone interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday.

"We have been suffering very torturous conditions for two decades," said Hasan, formerly Carlos Sanders. "We have never been given the opportunity completely to speak about our cases, to speak to the media -- because the media has an enormous amount of power. They can get our message out to the court of public opinion."

Twelve staff members were taken hostage on April 11, 1993, Easter Sunday, when inmates overtook the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville.

Hasan was convicted for helping plan the murder of Corrections Officer Robert Vallandingham, among 10 who died during the 11-day uprising, the longest deadly prison riot in U.S. history.

Hasan denies he was involved in planning or carrying out the killing.

Hasan, Keith LaMar and Jason Robb, all sentenced to death after the uprising, will take their last meals Wednesday evening ahead of their protest at the Ohio State Penitentiary in Youngstown, Hasan said.

Also participating will be Gregory Curry, a participant in the rebellion sentenced to life in prison.

James Were, another of the Lucasville Five, is diabetic and will not take part.

The fifth man sentenced to death after the riot, George Skatzes, is at a different prison in Chillicothe.

Hasan, LaMar and Robb staged a short hunger protest in 2011 that resulted in access to full contact visits with their families.

JoEllen Smith, a spokeswoman for the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction, said in denying an AP request for sit-down interviews ahead of Thursday's anniversary that many factors are considered. They include safety and security of the prison and the impact on victims or staff.

Among the department's concerns has been that the five would bring up prison conditions such as overcrowding that led to the 1993 riot or try to elicit sympathy for being held in super-maximum security. "I'm not concerned about overcrowdedness. It doesn't affect me because I'm always going to be isolated," Hasan said. "They said they didn't want us to talk about indefinite confinement in a super-max prison. I could care less about that. I'm not trying to make prison a paradise for myself. I'm trying to get the hell out of prison."

Hasan, now 50, was 10 months from his parole hearing at the time of the riot.

He was among Muslim inmates in Lucasville who objected on religious grounds to a mandatory test for tuberculosis containing phenol alcohol. Hasan said they never envisioned their protest would reach such proportions.

"We didn't ever have an intention to have a full-scale rebellion, just barricade ourselves inside a pod, get the attention of Central Office to hope that we could resolve the situation amicably," he said.

Instead, the violent uprising involving more than 450 inmates ultimately prompted then-Gov. George Voinovich to call in the National Guard.

Vallandingham was murdered on the fourth day of the standoff after inmates' threats they would kill a hostage if certain demands weren't met.

Hasan said he became involved in negotiations after Vallandingham's death, in his role as prayer leader for the Muslim inmates, after several representatives were appointed and talks faltered.

In contradiction to accounts provided by the state, Hasan claims that inmates never got together and decided a guard should be murdered.

"Prior to the guard's murder, there was not any discussion for a guard to be killed. There was never a vote," he said. "The prosecutor sold that line to the jury and they swallowed the hook, the line and the sink."

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 202369561 - wsaz.com/a?a=202369561
Gray Television, Inc.