UPDATE 6/13/14 @ 6:39 p.m.
MINGO COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A man in Mingo County died Thursday after trying to turn power on to his home.
West Virginia State Police say Tommy Smith was electrocuted when he attempted to switch the power back on on major power line at his home along Delmar Brown Drive in Belo.
According to the report, Smith used an aluminum ladder against the power pole. When he tried to flip the switch, he was electrocuted.
Now, that man's wife is calling him a hero. That's because, for her, she needs electricity to live.
"I have a defibrillator, a pacemaker, and I'm on oxygen," said Deborah Brown. "He was just trying to help me; he just wanted to get me back on my oxygen."
Their power had been out since Tuesday's storms. Brown says they tried to call the power company a few times a day but couldn't get any help.
That's when things took a deadly turn. Smith decided to take matter into his own hands and try to turn the power on himself.
Brown said Smith did have some experience working on power poles, but had asked him to leave it to the power company.
She says Thursday before she left to go see a doctor, she asked him not to try anything.
"Before I left I said ‘Please honey don't do it,’” she said.
Brown now begs anyone who may think about doing work themselves, to think twice about it.
"Just let the power company take care of it," she said. "It doesn't matter how long it takes. Don't risk your life. I lost a good man."
West Virginia State Police say Tommy Smith died Thursday when he attempted to switch the power back on on major power lines at his home. It happened on Delmar Brown Drive in Belo.
According to the report Smith used an aluminum ladder against the power pole. When he tried to flip the switch he was electrocuted.