UPDATE 6/16/14 @ 10:54 a.m.
ROANE COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- The State Fire Marshal’s Office says a man severely burned when a 155-gallon oil drum exploded has died.
The incident happened at Charles Starcher’s home in Spencer last Tuesday.
Starcher, 24, died from his injuries Saturday night.
Investigators say Starcher was cutting into the side of the drum, to dismantle and scrap the tank when it exploded, consuming Starcher in a ball of fire.
They say Starcher then jumped into a creek to put out the fire, but 75 percent of his body was severely burned.
Starcher was flown to Cabell Huntington Hospital.
A 15-year-old working with him was also burned. He was treated and released from the hospital.
It happened at the man's home along Speed Road. He was cutting a 155-gallon drum when it exploded.
The man was flown by medical helicopter to Cabell Huntington Hospital.
Neighbor Harlan Drake heard the explosion.
"I just heard a loud boom," he said. " I came out and looked up the hollow, and then I saw smoke."
The Roane County Sheriff's Department says the victim was on home confinement.
The people who were home while we were there Tuesday evening did not want to comment.
The state fire marshal is investigating.
Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest on this story.