KANAWHA COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Asbestos was removed during the weekend from a boiler room at Mary Ingles Elementary.
Concerned parents contacted WSAZ.com after seeing asbestos signs at Mary Ingles Elementary School during the weekend. They say they're wondering why they were never told about the asbestos. They heard about the removal from their children.
Principal Melissa Wilfong said the asbestos was removed from the boiler room, which is not attached to the school. She says since then, they've been told the school was safe for kids to come back Monday. Their first priority is student safety.
"We've been assured everything is safe and we are fine to return," Wilfong said. "There was an air test done on Friday."
She added, "We also have air scrubbers in place that are cleaning the air, as well."
The school has seen its share of potentially harmful toxins. In March, mold was removed from the walls and ceiling of classrooms. Parents are relieved the school will have a major facelift during the summer. James has a niece who attends the school. He says it's about time these problems are fixed. "I hope they get it all done for our kids sake and i hope it doesn't happen again."
Wilfong assures parents the school is safe. She says, "I keep reminding everyone. Yes, we have a lot of things going on right now, but it will be well worth the wait when we start the year."
In addition to asbestos and mold removal, a new ceiling and roof will be installed. Light fixtures, plus electrical and sprinkler systems will be replaced. Pipes with asbestos in them will be removed.
The price tag for all these renovations is more than $155,000. Last month, the school board agreed these problems needed to be fixed before the start of the school year in the fall.