UPDATE: No Charges Filed after Suspicious Backpack Found

By: Brooks Jarosz, Jeremy Edwards Email
By: Brooks Jarosz, Jeremy Edwards Email
More Video...

UPDATE 4/26/13 @ 11:30 a.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- No charges will be filed against a man who left a backpack that caused a bomb scare near the Charleston Marriott earlier this week.

The suspicious backpack was found near the hotel and the Charleston Town Center Mall about 11 a.m. Tuesday.

Investigators say the man spoke with someone at the hotel, dropped a duffle bag and took off running. When the incident was reported the bomb squad responded to the scene as a precaution and later found only screws and nails were inside the bag.

During the investigation, police interviewed the man and found that he left the bag on the street for safekeeping. He didn't believe the bag was safe where he was going. The man actually returned to get the bag while investigators were still on scene.

Police are not releasing the man's name because no crime was committed.



LISTEN: Greenbrier Street 911 Call



LISTEN: Marriott 911 Call

UPDATE 4/23/13 @ 3:20 p.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- The "all clear" has been given following two bomb scares in Charleston Tuesday morning.

The first incident, happened before 11 a.m. near the Marriott hotel and the Charleston Town Center Mall. Sheriff John Rutherford tells WSAZ.com a man spoke with someone at the hotel, dropped a duffle bag and took off running. Marriott staff immediately called police.

Rutherford says Charleston Police secured several streets and buildings nearby. Clendenin Street was shut down for more than an hour as the bomb squad and Charleston Fire Department were called to the scene.

The sheriff says a robot removed the suspicious bag and brought it to a more secure area in the middle of Clendenin Street. Workers at the Marriott told bomb technicians they saw nails and screws in a container inside the bag, according to Rutherford.

"There was screws and nails in the package," Sheriff John Rutherford said. "We then used our robot and our X-ray machines to look in the package and determine that it was not dangerous."

No explosives were found. However, in light of recent bombings in Boston, law enforcement officials wanted to take every precaution possible.

"It was very alarming, especially with what's going on when you can see articles that were possibly used in other bombs," Sheriff Rutherford said. "I thought the citizens did an excellent job of calling the Charleston Police Department, the Charleston Police Department did a fabulous job of securing the scene and the deputies did a great job of making sure the public was safe."

The manager of Panera Bread tells WSAZ.com her employees and customers were frightened looking outside the window and seeing the bomb squad.

Charleston Police are now investigating the incident and reviewing surveillance video, in hope of tracking down the man who had the bag.

"We're going to try to figure out the ownership of the bag and where the bag originated from," Corporal Kevin Oldham said. "And how it arrived where it arrived at."

The streets were reopened and the scene was cleared just after noon Tuesday.

Meanwhile, a bomb threat was made at a drug treatment facility in the 2100-block of Greenbrier Street in Charleston. Several of the bomb technicians had to rush to that scene following the scare near the Marriott, according to Rutherford.

Police say this is the third threat the Charleston Treatment Center has received in the past two days. This time, officials say they were told there was a bomb in the dumpster.

The bomb squad arrived and looked in and around the dumpster, but they never found any suspicious items or explosives, deputies say.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.



UPDATE 4/23/13 @ 12:30 p.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Several streets in downtown Charleston have reopened after a suspicious package was found Tuesday morning.

The package was found near the Marriott hotel and the Charleston Town Center Mall about 11 a.m.

Deputies tell WSAZ.com, no bomb was found. Investigators did find nails and screws in the old army duffle bag -- but not a bomb..

Bomb technicians have also been called to the Charleston Treatment Center on Greenbrier Street.

The director of the facility tells WSAZ.com, they received a bomb threat about 11:15 a.m. Tuesday, so they called police.

It is unclear if anything has been found at that location.

Investigators also aren't sure if the two cases are related.

We have crews at both locations.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.



ORIGINAL STORY
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Several streets in downtown Charleston have been closed because of a suspicious package.

Police say the package was found near the Marriott hotel just before 11 a.m. Tuesday.

The intersections of Cledenin and Quarrier Streets, Washington and Clendenin Streets and Lee and Reynolds Streets.

All foot traffic has been stopped in the area also.

Police say no bomb was found. They did find nails and screws in an old army duffle bag.

They are trying to figure out how the bag got there.

Dispatchers say another bomb threat has been reported at the Charleston Treatment Center in the 2100 block of Greenbrier Street.

Police are also responding to that scene.

It is unclear if the two cases are connected.

We have crews at both scenes. Keep clicking WSAZ.com for the latest information.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 204289761 - wsaz.com/a?a=204289761
Gray Television, Inc.