EXCLUSIVE: 3 Years Later: Fallen Officer Remembered; Family Speaks

By: Brooks Jarosz, WSAZ News Staff Email
By: Brooks Jarosz, WSAZ News Staff Email

UPDATE 9/13/12 @ 11:30 p.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A community came together to honor a Charleston Police officer killed in the line of duty.

Thursday marked three years since Jerry Jones was accidentally shot and killed while police were trying to arrest a man after a high speed chase.

For the very first time, WSAZ.com is hearing from the Jones family who are still coping with a terrible loss.

A black wreath was placed at the fallen police memorial in Charleston to remember Jerry Jones who's duty ended on September 13, 2009.

Jerry Jones' unit number 155 was called out over the radio at noon and emergency responders were asked to observe a moment of silence to remember the fallen officer.

Officers stopped by the memorial site throughout the day to pay their respects. His close friends and family joined together at Jerry's gravesite to pray.

NewsChannel Three's Brooks Jarosz was invited to be with family, close friends and officer as they gathered Thursday evening.

For Beverly and Jerry Jones Sr., the pain of losing their son has never gotten any easier.

"The last thing I said to him the last time I talked to him -- I said, 'I love you,'" Beverly Jones said. "That's the first thing I will say to him again someday."

A memorial bench, flowers and small reminders surround his grave explaining who Jerry was and how much he loved his family and community.

"if I didn't keep myself busy, I think I would just stay in a depression all the time because you love someone so much and they're snatched away from you that fast," Beverly Jones said. "I don't want to ever forget anything about him. I want to remember how he looks, remember how his voice sounded, I want to remember all the things he did."

Jerry Jones' grandfather said a prayer as officers and close friends and family prayed around his tombstone.

"Lord, Jerry Allen has meant so much to us," Jerry's grandfather said. "Not just to us but his country, to his county and to his state and the work that he enjoyed doing."

At just 27 years old, Jerry's life was taken in the blink of an eye but many joined together to honor and remember, vowing to never forget.

"I prayed for him everyday when he went to work, everyday, and I thought I had him all wrapped up in safety and prayer but God has his own schedule and his own time," Beverly Jones said. "It was just his time and the Lord took him home but we will see him again."

Until then, they are simply hoping his heroic legacy lives on.

The Jones family says they're grateful for the outpouring of support from fellow officers. They say they attended the funeral for the two state police troopers killed in the line of duty last month and say they're hearts go out to the families because they know exactly how they feel.

UPDATE 3/7/12 @ 7:25 a.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) -- A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed by the widow of a Charleston police officer who was killed by friendly fire in 2009.

U.S. District Judge Joseph R. Goodwin threw out the lawsuit filed in September by Samantha Jones against the city of Charleston and the officer who allegedly fired the shot.

Jones' husband, Patrolman Jerry Jones, was killed on Sept. 14, 2009, while trying to stop a pickup truck. Police have said other Charleston officers opened fire as the truck's driver, Brian Good of Miliken, tried to ram two police cruisers with the vehicle. Good also was fatally shot.

Goodwin ruled this week that police acted appropriately.

UPDATE 9/16/11 @ 10:10 p.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) A grieving mother is suing the city as well as several police officers, after some of them shot and killed her son. This happened after a high-speed police chase two years ago this week.

Patricia Harrison, mother of Brian Good, filed the lawsuit Thursday.

In the incident, police shot her son as well as accidentally killing fellow officer Jerry Jones.

Harrison calls the experience “a never-ending nightmare.” She says police need to change how they handle these cases.

But, Charleston Mayor Danny Jones says the officers had to protect themselves.

"We're never going to stop fighting for justice for my son," Harrison says.

This is the second time Harrison has sued the city, after having a previous lawsuit thrown out in the months following the chase and shootings.

This time, she's also suing specific officers, including Christopher Burford. He was named in a separate lawsuit filed last Friday as the man who fired the shot that killed Jerry Jones.

“I just want the police to acknowledge the fact that they used excessive force and brutal force, and that two lives were taken that night," Harrison says.

Harrison’s attorney, Harold Albertson, says this lawsuit has several similarities to the federal lawsuit Jerry Jones’ wife filed last week. Families of Good and Jones claim their civil rights were violated, and that police didn’t follow proper protocols.

For the first time since the chase, Harrison's attorney showed WSAZ.com the truck Good was driving the night of the shooting.

He says with so many bullet holes, the truck is evidence police took things too far.

"They had him. They could have just arrested him. He wasn't armed. He wasn't trying to hurt them," Harrison says.

Mayor Jones says, "(Good) was absolutely armed: with a 5,000-pound vehicle."

Jones agrees the night didn't have to end the way it did. But, he says it was Good who chose to take off and endanger police officers. He says Good should have cooperated from the beginning.

"If he would have just stopped when the police told him to stop, and not used his truck as a deadly weapon against the police officers, I think the whole thing wouldn't have happened," Jones says.

Jones says the officers did what they had to do to protect themselves.

Officer Jerry Jones, who is not related to the mayor, was also killed that night.

His wife, Samantha, says the mayor is wrong and filed a lawsuit of her own last Friday.

"Hopefully, it won't happen again to someone, and that some other mother or wife won't have to go through the stuff that me and Samantha have been through," Harrison says. "Whatever it takes, I will do anything for my son, whatever it takes."

Harrison is seeking money, as well as an order asking the police to comply with the department's policies in cases like these.

The city has 20 days to respond to the lawsuit.

UPDATE 9/12/11 @ 8:50 p.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A grieving widow said the death of her husband -- former Charleston Police Officer Jerry Jones -- could have been prevented.

She has filed a lawsuit in federal court, saying the city did not do enough to protect her husband.

It was two years ago today that the initial car crash happened that started the chain of events leading to Jones' death.

According to a federal lawsuit, Jones was accidentally shot and killed by fellow officer Christopher Burford.

Jones' wife is suing Burford individually, as well as the city. She says her husband's constitutional rights were violated.

She also cites the city's "deliberate indifference toward the staffing and training of its patrol officers."

She says that made Burford "highly likely to inflict the injuries and death suffered by Officer Jerry Jones."

Charleston Mayor Danny Jones, who is unrelated to Jerry and Samantha Jones, disagrees.

"it's a friendly fire incident. It happens in war, and it happens with police officers. And, it's extremely sad," says Mayor Jones. "I think in hindsight, anything could be prevented. I don't think it was training."

This all started after police say Brian Good led them on a chase that ended on Quick Road in Kanawha County.

When officers finally pulled him over and blocked him in, Burford approached Good on the driver's side and fired his gun.

Jones was approaching the passenger side when he was shot.

Jones' attorney sent the city a letter last week, asking the city to agree to a $1 million within 48 hours.

When that didn't happen, the lawsuit was filed.

"We thought it was so outlandish. We knew she was going to sue," says Mayor Danny Jones.

Jerry Jones' wife is seeking money from the city, as well as asking the city to change its training policies.

Samantha Jones' attorneys did not return calls seeking comment.

WARNING: the dashcam video above shows what unfolded during a deadly incident and might be disturbing to some people.

UPDATE: Monday, October 12
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- The recordings released Friday from the dashcams of the police cruisers involved in a chase that ended in two deaths reveal a conversation between a trooper and the suspect's passenger, Natasha Light.

Charleston Police say Light threw items out of Brian Good's pickup truck at them during a chase from Greenbrier Street in Charleston to Quick Road in Quick. Officers shot and killed Good after they say he rammed their cruisers multiple times. Patrolman Jerry Jones was hit by friendly fire and died a short time later.

In the initial clip we posted from West Virginia State Trooper #619's cruiser cam last week, you can see an officer carrying Light away from the scene to the cruiser. Several minutes later, the trooper returned to his vehicle and Light started talking to him.

The microphone the trooper wears picked up some of the conversation.

"You ain't got [expletive] on me, cause I didn't do nothing," said Light.

"What did I do?" asked Light.

In the background, radio traffic can be heard about giving CPR to Officer Jerry Jones.

Then, the trooper yells "come here," Light says she can't see and then the trooper tells her to get into the car.

It sounds as if there is some kind of short scuffle between Light and the trooper. She continues to scream that she didn't do anything and asks for an ambulance, and then she can be heard crying.

More of the conversation:
Light: "I need an ambulance. Yeah, I'm not alright."
Trooper: "Just hang tight, alright?"
Light: "I have no idea what the [expletive] is going... he came up..."
Trooper: "There's a very good chance there's a police man dead, alright?"
Light: "How?"
Trooper: "You just need to calm down and look at the bigger picture."

Light has not been charged with anything in connection with the incident. The Kanawha County Sheriff's Department is continuing its investigation into the events of that morning.

Listen to the conversation for yourself by clicking on the video link above. WARNING: the audio is unedited, so some profanity is audible.

UPDATE: Friday, October 9
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- The City of Charleston on Friday released dashcam video of the police chase that ultimately led to the shooting deaths of Patrolman Jerry Jones and suspect Brian Good.

Mayor Danny Jones and Chief Brent Webster held a 2 p.m. news conference to show the video and answer media questions.

The video shows Good's truck ramming full-force into Charleston Police cruiser 103 and then attempting to ram it again before shots are fired.

WSAZ submitted a Freedom of Information Act request to the City of Charleston, Kanawha County Sheriff's Department and the Kanawha County Prosecutor for the dashcam video on September 29, but was told it would not be released while the investigation was ongoing.

The incident happened September 13. Investigators say Good led officers on two chases that night and then rammed two Charleston Police cruisers before he was shot and killed on Quick Road in northern Kanawha County. A bullet from one of the officers at the scene hit Patrolman Jones in the chest just above his protective vest, killing him.

The investigation by the Kanawha County Sheriff's Department revealed that 16 shots were fired by three officers. Mayor Danny Jones told WSAZ.com that the three officers were Owen Morris, Christopher Burford and Jones --- who fired a shot as he fell after being shot.

Investigators say Good was not armed with a gun during the incident --- instead, they say he used his 2.5 ton pickup truck as a deadly weapon.

Sheriff Mike Rutherford and Prosecutor Mark Plants said the officers took appropriate action, were within the realm of the law and will not be prosecuted.

The sheriff says only one of the clips was edited out of respect for Patrolman Jones' family. It was the camera on Jones' car after he was shot.

The Jones family was notified today that the video would be released and played on local TV stations, giving them the option not to relive their pain by watching.

The Good family says Police did not call them. WSAZ talked with Brian Good's mother. She says the video would be disturbing to watch.

UPDATE: Monday, September 28 @ 1:11 p.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- New details were released Monday during a news conference in the fatal shootings of a Charleston Police officer and a suspect following a pursuit.

Sheriff Mike Rutherford says a total of 16 shots were fired from three officers, including Patrolman Jerry Jones, at the point where 31-year-old Brian Good rammed two police cruisers in Quick after an extensive chase. Seven shots hit Good, one hit Patrolman Jones. Both died.

Rutherford also says that Jones' weapon fired once while he was falling after being shot. That shot hit the dashboard of a cruiser.

Rutherford says Good put the officers' lives in danger when he drove directly toward them -- and he had a clear avenue to escape from the gravel lot where he pulled off Quick Road without having to drive toward the officers.

"The suspect did not have to ram the Charleston Police cruiser," Rutherford said. "He put officer's lives in danger and they had to use deadly force."

Sheriff Rutherford says Good rammed a police cruiser head-on and then rammed the accelerator to try to push that cruiser back. A second cruiser moved in front of Good to try to push him back. During this, Patrolman Jones drove to the back-side of Good's truck, then shots were fired. Rutherford says police were not aware that Jones was in the line of fire.

"One o'clock in the morning, you have headlights staring you in the face, you have problems seeing behind the vehicle. You don't know what's behind the vehicle," Rutherford said. "You don't know that that officer is there."

Ballistic tests and autopsy results are still pending, according to Rutherford.

Brian Good's family members were protesting outside the courthouse prior to the news conference and then joined county officials in the Kanawha County Commission Courtroom. After several outbursts, the sheriff had the family members removed from the courtroom.

Sheriff Rutherford says the department does not plan to release the dash cam video that shows the situation unfold nor the name of the officer who shot Jerry Jones.

Prosecutor Mark Plants says the officers involved did everything properly under the law.

All of the officers who were suspended, returned to work last week.

No charges have been filed against the passenger in Good's truck, Natasha Light. The prosecutor's office is continuing to investigate.

The sheriff's department released a timeline of events that was provided by Metro 911. Click here to see it.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for more information.

UPDATE: Thursday, September 24 @ 4:00pm
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- The Kanawha County Sheriff's Department and the Kanawha County Prosecutor's Office are expected to have a news conference on Monday, September 28 concerning the shooting that led to the deaths of Patrolman Jerry Jones and Brian Good.

According to a news release, the news conference will discuss the current status of the investigation into the Charleston Police Department shooting which occurred on September 13.

WSAZ.com will carry the news conference live at 1:00 p.m. Monday. Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the very latest information.

UPDATE: Friday
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Radio recordings released from Kanawha County Metro 911 Friday afternoon reveal new details in a series of events that led to the shooting deaths of a chase suspect and a Charleston Police officer.

The Kanawha County Sheriff's Department is conducting the investigation and authorized the release of the recordings.

Charleston Police chased 31-year-old Brian Good twice after they say he was involved in an earlier hit-and-run incident involving his ex-girlfriend. During the second chase, which ran up Route 114 into the Quick area, officers say Good rammed three police cruisers with his pickup truck before they fired shots at him, killing him.

A shot also hit 27-year-old Jerry Jones, a patrolman who had been with the department since 2005. He was hit in the chest just above his protective vest. The City of Charleston revealed that it appears he was hit by an bullet fired from another Charleston officer's gun. Jones was flown to the hospital, where he later died.

Good was not armed with a gun, according to Mayor Danny Jones. Jones says Good's weapon was his 2.5 ton pickup truck.

Here is the recording of the final chase that led to to the deaths of both Jones and Good. The second recording is an excerpt of the most intense parts of the chase and shooting.

FULL CHASE (29:07)

Mobile users: click here to access the MP3 file


Mobile users: click here to access the MP3 file

In listening to all of the various recordings that were released, the details of the night are much more apparent. Here is a timeline of the events with audio clips:


Mobile users: click here to access the MP3 file

9:21pm: Call into Metro 911 reports that a man driving a light blue pickup truck hit her vehicle on Ohio Avenue, which is on the city's west side. The truck was reported to have a wooden flat bed. The woman was revealed to be the pickup driver's ex-girlfriend. The truck left the scene.

9:59pm: Charleston Police unit 102 spots a gray pickup truck without brake lights near the intersection of 7th Street and Park Avenue, and attempts to pull the driver over for a traffic stop. The driver does not stop, so the officer begins chasing the vehicle. The officer describes the truck as being "primer" gray with a wooden bed in the back and two people inside.

A supervisor immediately asks 102 for the reason for the pursuit. 102 says it's a traffic stop for no brake lights. The supervisor tells 102 to discontinue the pursuit as the truck turns onto Virginia Street W.

10:01pm: Unit 103 informs the supervisor that the same vehicle was possibly involved in a previous incident where the driver purposely "rammed two people on Lee Street." 103 asks for permission to continue the pursuit, and the supervisor grants it. The suspect vehicle gets onto I-64 and gets off at the Oakwood exit.

10:02pm: Supervisor unit 18 loses site of the pickup truck. All units except for 18 are told to stop responding code (with lights and sirens). Units starts searching Corridor G for the truck.

10:06pm: Unit 18 advises that it looked like the driver of the pickup had his door open during the pursuit.

10:08pm: After speaking with the hit-and-run victim, Unit 103 advises that the suspect in the pickup truck is Brian Good who lives in Slack's Trailer Park. Metro 911 dispatchers run his information and find another possible address off Davis Creek Road. Units head there and to Slack's Trailer Park.

10:36pm: A CPD unit advises that people in the area of Heavenly Drive in Davis Creek saw Good's pickup truck a little earlier. The truck is not found.

12:03am: A call comes in to Metro 911 reporting that a gray pickup with no taillights hit the guardrail on I-64 near Women and Children's Hospital and continued on without stopping. It was reported to be a DUI driver. The supervisor advises that the driver could be the same suspect in the previous hit-and-run. The dispatcher said the car continued south on I-77. Listen to that call:

911 Call @ 12:43am Sunday (02:10)

Mobile users: click here to access the MP3 file

(full chase audio starts here -- click on the link above to follow along)

12:47am: CPD unit 110 spots the pickup truck near Washington Street E and Ruffner Avenue on the city's east end. The supervisor sends more units to the area before a traffic stop is attempted, and tells another unit to get ahead with spike strips.

12:50am: CPD unit advises that it appears the truck hit a car near Kanawha Boulevard. The supervisor tells him to "light up" the truck (turn on lights to pull it over).

12:51am: Units tell Metro 911 that the suspect is running from them, and the chase starts, heading north on Greenbrier Street with no traffic. The suspect blew through a red light and quickly sped up to 70 mph, according to the officer. The supervisor advised the unit to cancel the pursuit if conditions get too dangerous.

12:52am: Supervisor 16 tells unit 107 (Ptlm Jerry Jones) to run the pursuit and unit 104 to call it over the radio. 107 was directly behind the suspect vehicle. The pursuit picks up to 80+ mph.

12:54am: Supervisor 18 tells units the speed is too much and to end the pursuit -- he would take the lead. 104 advises that everything is fine and the pursuit continues. They believe the suspect is headed to his home at Slack's Trailer Park.

12:56am: Units advise that the suspect is making a U-turn near a church on Mill Creek Road. Officers give warning to other units coming up from behind.

"If you're on Mill Creek Road, slow down cause he's coming out here driving pretty erratic," said one of the officers.

"All units, he just tried to hit me," said one of the officers. Another officer responded saying the suspect tried to do the same thing to him.

"All units on Mill Creek Road, get over, he's not playing around," said another officer.

12:58am: The pursuit continues north on 114 toward Pinch. Speed is about 60 mph.

12:59am: A units advises Metro 911 that they are in the 4000 block of Route 114.

1:00am: The suspect goes to the right at the fork, and the pursuit continues on Quick Road.

"They're throwing glass or beer bottles or something out the window at me here," said one of the officers.

1:01am: An officer reports that the people in the truck are "getting ready to throw a tool box out" of the truck. The pursuit continues at about 50 mph.

1:02am: An officer reports that a male is driving the suspect vehicle and a female is yelling out the window and throwing stuff at them.

About 30 seconds later, a unit yells, "shots fired, shots fired."

All radio traffic goes silent for nine seconds until a supervisor keys up and says, "all units, take appropriate action."

1:03am: Unit 103 tells Metro, "we need medics. There's been shots fired, shots fired... Quick Road... shots fired. Suspect is down... suspect is down. We need medics."

About 20 seconds later, unit 103 tries to reach unit 107. There is no response, so he tries to reach him again. Again, there was no response.

1:04am: Supervisor 16 then asks 103 if any officers were injured. There is no response for 10 seconds. 103 then yells, "103 Metro, we have an officer down, an officer is down. 103 Metro, officer down.

1:05am: Unit K-1 advises they need HealthNet to respond to the scene ASAP.

During the pursuit, a woman called 911 to report that she was an eyewitness to what happened with the truck ramming a car in Charleston earlier. Listen to that audio here:

911 Call @ 1:03am Sunday (01:31)

Mobile users: click here to access the MP3 file

The investigation into the incident is ongoing. Charleston Police Chief Brent Webster says the video tape from the dash camera will eventually be released.

UPDATE: Thursday, September 17 @ 4:00pm
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Charleston Police Chief Brent Webster released the officers' names that were on scene when Patrolman Jerry Jones was killed by friendly fire.

Officers' Names and Years of Experience

  • Patrolman Scott Layton, 3 years
  • Patrolman Owen Morris, 2 years
  • Patrolman Christopher Burford, 1 year
  • Patrolman Duane Fields, 1 year
  • Patrolman Anthony Gaylor, 1 year
  • Corporal Travis Hawley, 15 years
  • Patrolman Robert Welsh, 4 years

The chief said the investigation is still underway by the Kanawha County Sheriff's Department. Chief Webster tells WSAZ.com the cruiser's dash-cam video will tell the story.

The officers that were at the scene the night Patrolman Jones died are still on paid administrative leave. Webster says that is protocol when something like this happens.

Department's Administrative Leave Policy

  • Any officer directly involved in the use of deadly force resulting in injury and/or death or other traumatic incident will be placed on Administrative Leave for a minimum of 3 calendar days (including days allowed). The Chief of Police will determine when the officer can return to full duty.
  • This leave will be without loss of pay or benefits, pending the results of the investigation.
  • The assignment to Administrative Leave shall not be interpreted to imply or indicate that the officer has acted improperly.
  • While on Administrative Leave, the officer shall remain available at all times for official departmental interviews and statements regarding the incident and shall be subject to recall to duty at any time.
  • In all cases where injury or death results from a firearms discharge, or other traumatic incident, the involved officer shall be required to undergo a debriefing with a psychologist as soon as possible, but not later that 48 hours after the incident
  • The purpose of this is to allow the officer to express his/her feelings and to deal with the moral, ethical and/or psychological after-affects of the incident.
  • The debriefing shall not be related to any departmental investigation of the incident and nothing discussed in the debriefing will be reported to the department. The debriefing session will be protected by the privileged physician-patient relationship.
  • The therapist will, however, be required to furnish a recommendation to the Chief regarding the involved officers’ ability to resume active duty or remain on Administrative Leave and undergo further counseling.
  • No officer shall return to active duty absent the recommendation of the involved therapist.
  • If the officer was relieved of his/her weapon and no replacement was provided, the therapist should also include a recommendation as to whether the weapon should be returned to the officer.
  • The officer will re-qualify with his/her weapon prior to reassuming active duty to provide psychological reassurance to the member as well as to document that the officer maintains an acceptable degree of proficiency.

UPDATE from 6pm
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- It seems the collective heart of the region and beyond beat in unison to remember Patrolman Jerry Jones on Wednesday.

From a nearly 15-mile procession lined with saluting civilians to the Municipal Auditorium filled with law enforcement officers who grieved as a unit, Patrolman Jones was in the hearts of all.

City, county and state leaders also stepped away from their offices Wednesday to honor the fallen officer, including Gov. Joe Manchin and Charleston Mayor Danny Jones.

Police officers from departments across the state and country showed up to pay their final respects -- all to honor an officer who paid the ultimate sacrifice to keep his community safe.

UPDATE @ 12:00p
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Hundreds of police officers from around our region, as well as family and friends are at the Municipal Auditorium to pay their respects to Patrolman Jerry Jones.

His memorial service got underway just after 11:30 a.m. Wednesday.

The officers filed in to their seats one-by-one as pictures of Patrolman Jones ran on the screen above his casket. The pictures showed Jones as a child and playing football and baseball. There were also pictures of when he married his wife, Samantha last year.

It was an open casket service and four officers at a time saluted Jones' body.

Officers presented the colors to start the memorial service.

Pastor Arthur Morrison was one of the first to speak at Wednesday's memorial service.

"Family members tried to talk him out of being a police officer," Morrison said. "He had a call to service, not that he was drafted, but an inward call, a desire."

"I think if you knew him you could say it's been a privilege," Pastor Morrison said. "Jerry Alan Jones has answered another call."

Charleston Police Chief Brent Webster was undeniably emotional when he started to talk about Patrolman Jones. He also apologized to those in attendance because he couldn't look at the crowd.

"We always loved him, we've always cherished him, and we will always honor him," Chief Webster said.

Jones was a member of Elkview Baptist Church. His pastor, David Keeney also took time Wednesday to talk about his life.

"Although he loved life, whenever the Lord called him, he was ready," Keeney said.

Lt. Eric Johnson was his shift commander the night he was killed. When he spoke during the memorial service it appeared there wasn't a dry eye in the auditorium.

"This will tear us a part or pull us together," said Sergeant Eric Johnson. "Think, what would Jerry want."

Lt. Johnson also told Jones' wife that Jerry was part of the department's family and he promised her that she will not be abandoned because she's their family too.

At the end of the service, the city retired Unit 155 over the radio. That number belonged to Patrolman Jones.

UPDATE: Wednesday, September 16 @ 8:30am
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- The hearse carrying Patrolman Jerry Jones' body just arrived at the Municipal Auditorium.

Several Charleston Police cruisers with their sirens on led the hearse into downtown Charleston.

Once the hearse arrived, dozens of officers and Marines saluted Patrolman Jones as his casket was carried into the Municipal Auditorium.

The memorial service is set for 11:00 a.m. Wednesday.

Virginia Street will be closed from Clendenin to Court Street Wednesday morning from 9:00 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.

We will have team coverage of today's memorial service. Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.

UPDATE @11pm Tuesday, Sept. 15
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Hundreds of people came out Tuesday night to honor Patrolman Jerry Jones.

His visitation was held at the Municipal Auditorium in Charleston.

Police departments from throughout the state came to pay their respects. Officers came from Fayette, Nicholas, Boone and Cabell counties -- just to name a few. Several departments from out-of-state are expected for Officer Jones' funeral on Wednesday.

Officers say the pain of losing a brother in blue knows no boundaries. "It was like a dagger going through your heart," Deputy Jeff Bailey with the Nicholas County Sheriff's Department said.

Deputy Bailey went through the police academy with Jones and says he remembers him always being the first in line, the first to finish and the first to volunteer. "He was a stand-up guy, always spoke through his actions and not through his words," Deputy Bailey said.

The Patriot Guard also stood watch at the visitation to honor Jones' service as a Marine. He fought in Iraq and Afghanistan.

UPDATE @8pm Tuesday, Sept. 15
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Pastor David Keeney of Elkview Baptist Church will give the eulogy at Wednesday morning's funeral.

Keeney describes Jones as "... A man of great character, and I think behind that man, was his faith in Jesus Christ, because it really was the stabilizing factor in his life."

Keeney says in his funeral message he will try to convey the fact that understanding isn't what is possible right now. "We don't always understand why things happen, and two, we do have a God of hope that gives us comfort."

Keeney says he witnessed the brotherhood of police officers early Sunday morning at the hospital when they learned that Jones had passed away. But he says he also knows from personal experience. His son Jon is a member of the South Charleston Police Department. Jon, like Officer Jones, will be deployed to Iraq in about a month with the Army; he is waiting for mobilization right now in Mississippi. Jones was a Marine who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Jones was about four years older than Jon Keeney but the two went to the same high school. Pastor Keeney says telling his son about what happened while he is awaiting deployment wasn't easy on several levels.

"It really hit Saturday night, the reality of what could happen, we just trust the Lord with him, we believe the Lord will do with him what needs to be done."

Meanwhile, the people who face those dangers each and everyday as members of the Charleston Police Department will be able to attend Jones' funeral, thanks to help from other departments.

The Kanawha County Sheriff's Department and the South Charleston Police Department will cover calls inside city limits during the funeral.

Before South Charleston Police Chief Brad Rinehart left the city of Charleston Department, he worked with Jones; who was just a new officer at the time.

Rinehart says the pain being felt inside the Charleston Police Department has a ripple effect.

"It's just a tough situation," he said. "You are never prepared for this. Police men are supposed to have that image -- big tough mean burly guys. This really hits home."

Some of the South Charleston Police Officers went to the Police Academy with Jones. Rinehart says, "It's bothering them."

Rinehart says Jones went through the training program he created, and that he actually assigned Jones to the shift he was working.

Ironically, that shift is led by Lt. Eric Johnson -- the last Charleston Police Officer to be shot while on duty.

Rinehart says, "He was on my old shift when I was there and, I am real close with a lot of those guys -- went up and had dinner with them the other night they are going through some hard times."

He describes Jones as, "just a good guy, real positive, fun to be around, great people skills, just a good person."

UPDATE: Tuesday, September 15
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Family, friends and community members will say goodbye Wednesday morning to fallen Charleston Police Officer Jerry Jones.

Jones was killed by what is believed to be friendly-fire Saturday just outside the city limits in Quick. He is also a veteran of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Co-worker and Charleston Police Sergeant Shawn Williams is encouraging people to show their support for Jones' service to "the city and the country" Wednesday as the funeral procession heads from the City of Charleston to the cemetery.

After the funeral at Municipal Auditorium, the funeral procession will go up Virginia Street to Charleston City Hall, make a left on Court Street to Washington, where they will head left onto Pennsylvania (Route 119) and take that route all the way to Cooper's Creek Cemetery.

Virginia Street will be closed from Clendenin to Court Street Wednesday morning from 9:00 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.

UPDATE: September 14
Brian Good's mother is defending her son.

Good is the man who lead police on a high speed chase from Charleston to Quick. Investigators say Good then started slamming police cruisers with his truck, so they drew their weapons to get him to stop.

Good was shot and killed along with Charleston police officer Jerry Jones. Good did not have a gun, but Mayor Jones says he was "armed with a two-and-a-half-ton vehicle."

Patricia Harrison, Good's mother, says her son did not deserve to die. "I just think that he was unjustly killed, and unfairly killed. I just think they could have done something else," Harrison says.

Harrison admits that her son should have pulled over, but she wants to see dash-cam video to see exactly what happened. "I don't see him thinking that he can overpower the police. I just think that they bum rushed him and shot him and I am going to spend my whole life trying to find justice."

But at the age of 31, Good does have an extensive criminal history which dates back to when he was just 19-years-old. The charges range from drug charges, to battery and resisting arrest.

"He had faults like everyone else, but he was a good guy and I know that he did not want to end his life," Harrison says.

Harrison says the chase started over a girl. She says Good went to see his girlfriend and found her in a car with another man. Harrison says that made him mad so he sped away and hit the car the two were sitting in. Police spotted Good's truck several hours later and tried to get him to pull over.

Harrison says she's sorry that Officer Jerry Jones was also killed. "I really do feel for the cop's wife and his family because I know exactly how she feels. And I want her to know that I'm sorry that it all happened."

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A memorial service is planned as a part of the funeral for the Charleston Police officer who was shot in the line of duty over the weekend.

27-year-old Patrolman Jerry Jones died early Sunday morning after he was hit in the chest by what is believed to be friendly fire.

Here are the details of the services:
VISITATION: 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday
MEMORIAL SERVICE: 11 a.m. Wednesday
Both will be held at the Municipal Auditorium on Virginia Street in Charleston.

WSAZ had planned to provide live coverage of the event, but the family has asked that no cameras or recording devices be allowed inside the auditorium.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Charleston Mayor Danny Jones revealed at a Sunday evening news conference that "there's every reason to believe" friendly fire killed Patrolman Jerry Jones.

Patrolman Jones was shot and killed during a chase that ended in the Quick area of Kanawha County after 1 a.m. Sunday morning.

Mayor Danny Jones says police can't prove it at this point, but they believe the shot that killed Patrolman Jones came from one of the city's officers. Mayor Jones says they are not sure which gun the bullet came from, but police believe the suspect during the chase was "armed with a two-and-a-half-ton vehicle" and not a gun. Patrolman Jones was wearing a bullet proof vest when he was shot, but was hit just above it.

Mayor Jones says it all started at about 9 p.m. Saturday when the suspect, who the Kanawha County Sheriff's Department has identified as 31-year-old Brian Scott Good of Slack’s Trailer Court in Miliken, apparently hit a woman's car in Charleston and took off. Officers spotted his vehicle later in the night, and that's when the chase started.

Good pulled his pickup truck into a gravel lot off Quick Road, turned around and rammed his truck into a police cruiser at full throttle, and then backed up and hit two other cruisers, according to the mayor.

"He had to be stopped," said Jones. "You could not let this individual be turned back loose to the public.

Officers then shot and killed Good and Patrolman Jones was hit. Jones was flown to a Charleston hospital where he later died.

"Now, in the crossfire, it looks like something terrible has happened here," said Mayor Jones. "But in my eyes, these officers are all heroes."

Chief Brent Webster says he believes the officers made the right decisions.

"To me, it appeared that the incident was unavoidable, controlled by the suspect. He put the officers in a very bad situation. We didn't have any factors we could control," said Webster.

Mayor Jones said he thought it was important to get this information to the public as soon as possible.

"Police officers by their very nature are 100-percenters. When I tell police that are investigating this that I'd like to go ahead and get this out, not all of them, but some of them don't understand. They don't understand that number one: bad news doesn't get better with age, and two: if we don't get this out, some people are going to get pretty cynical and think we're trying to hold things back. We're not," said Mayor Jones.

Five police officers have been placed on paid leave, while the investigation into the shooting takes place. There were four officers at the scene, including Patrolman Jones, at the time of the incident. The other two on leave arrived at the scene shortly after the shooting took place.

It was also revealed Sunday night that there was a woman in the car with Good who was not hurt. The Kanawha County Prosecutor's office is assessing whether charges will be filed against her. Her name has not been released.

Patrolman Jones had been with the City of Charleston since 2005.

The Kanawha County Sheriff's Department says it is not releasing any more information about the incident at this point in the investigation.

UPDATE @ 8am
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Charleston Police Chief Brent Webster tells WSAZ.com 27-year-old Patrolman Jerry Jones was the officer killed in the line of duty Sunday.

The incident happened shortly after 1 a.m. on Quick Road in the Quick area of Kanawha County, which is outside city limits.

Chief Webster was emotional during the news conference early Sunday morning when he spoke about the officer.

"We definitely lost one of our most treasured officers," Chief Brent Webster said. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family. We will do the best we can to cherish and honor him."

Chief Webster says sometime after midnight the officer was pursuing a vehicle that had been involved in different incidents throughout the city of Charleston.

"At some point, there was an encounter and deadly circumstances presented themselves," Webster said. "Jerry Jones, our officer, was shot and killed. The suspect who drove the vehicle being pursued was also killed."

The suspect's name will not be released until his family is notified.

We're told the pursuit went outside the city limits to the Pinch area, but no other details are being released at this time.

"We just really feel for the family of Jerry Jones," Chief Webster said. "We really want to be able to help his family at this time and understand through this investigation what all happened and of course there will be a lot more details that come out."

The Kanawha County Sheriff's Department is reconstructing the scene to get more details about exactly what happened.

"It's a reality we face in law enforcement, but until you are directly faced with it you don't really think about it," Webster said. "It seems like the whole department has been here tonight at different times. We have chaplains and some counselors around trying to help us deal with it, but I'm not sure we ever will get over it. I know his family never will."

Webster said during the news conference Jones just marked his third anniversary with the department three days ago.

"He had a great attitude. He enjoyed the military by talking with his mother and father," Chief Webster said. "He just did a really good job. He was very friendly and very respectful."

Patrolman Jones was just recently married.

"I can't ever remember a complaint about him," Chief Brent Webster said. "He was just a good guy. We are going to find the best way to honor him and go from there."

Patrolman Jones responded to 911 calls throughout the city. Chief Webster said he did his job very well.

"We know these types of things can happen out there, but it hasn't happened for a very long time," Webster said. "Charleston is a great city to work and live. We are a very proud agency."

Charleston Firefighters hung a black ribbon at city hall in honor of Patrolman Jones.

It has been twenty eight years since a Charleston officer was shot and killed. In the summer of 1981, Patrolman Eddie Duncan and Lieutenant Delbert Roush were both shot and killed by Antoine Hickman during a traffic stop. Hickman was later convicted of the murders and sentenced to serve the rest of his life at Mount Olive prison.

The City of Charleston set up a permanent police memorial on Pennsylvania Avenue where that crime took place.

In 1994, Charleston Patrolman William Overton died in a traffic accident while responding to a call.

In 2006, Charleston Police Officer Eric Johnson was shot while working an undercover operation. He was shot in the head and the stomach in the parking lot of the Days Inn in Kanawha City, but still managed to fire on the man who shot him. Johnson has since recovered.

UPDATE @ 4:30am
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Charleston Mayor Danny Jones tells WSAZ.com the officer who was shot during a chase has died.

"When my phone rings at 3:00 o'clock in the morning, it's never good news," said Mayor Danny Jones. "This is the worst possible kind of news that a mayor or a police department can get, that one of their own has been killed in the line of duty."

The shooting happened on Quick Road in the Quick area.

The officer was taken to CAMC General where he later died.

"I was just inside with the family and they just left. It was just terrible," Jones said.

The mayor tells WSAZ.com the young man served four years in the Marine Corps and was a veteran of both Iraq and Afghanistan.

"People sometimes never get over this," Mayor Jones said. "It's very traumatic for all those involved, including the officers because it lets them know what they're up against on a daily basis, every time they put on a uniform."

Investigators say the suspect died at the scene.

"There is an investigation going on by the Kanawha County Sheriff's Department of what happened because it's in their area and its best for the sheriff's department to investigate this," the mayor said. "We will obviously have some services this week and just try to help the family get through it and help each other get through it."

The officer's name has not been released, but the mayor says the officer has been with the department since September 2005.

No other details are being released at this time. The city is planning to release more information during a news conference early Sunday morning.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A Charleston police officer has been shot, according to Police Chief Brent Webster.

Chief Webster tells WSAZ.com it happened during a chase on Quick Road in the Quick area.

At this point, no other details are being released, including the officer's condition or name.

Officers say the suspect died at the scene. The state Medical Examiner's Office is at the scene.

Charleston Mayor Danny Jones and Kanawha County Prosecutor Mark Plants are at CAMC General, along with several police officers.

We have a crew at the scene. Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 59161427 - wsaz.com/a?a=59161427