WSAZ | Charleston, West Virginia | News

Smoke Scare at Goody's Department Store

By: Jennifer Rizzi Email
By: Jennifer Rizzi Email

ST. ALBANS, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A department store was evacuated Sunday evening after a small electrical fire brought crews to the scene.

Firefighters arrived at Goody's on MacCorkle Avenue about 6:30 p.m. They say snow from last week's storm had melted on the roof and made its way down to a light fixture in the ceiling.

"There are holes on the roof and they're not real big, but as the snow melts, it's going to find the path of least resistance and make its way down," firefighter Jeff Davidson said.

Firefighters say there was some smoke in the store, but no flames. Four employees were inside at the time, but no one was hurt.

The store was shut down for the remainder of the evening. It's expected to reopen Monday.

Keep clicking WSAZ.com for updates.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 177197311 - wsaz.com/a?a=177197311