BIG CHIMNEY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Thursday’s severe weather may have been to blame for a gas line explosion in Big Chimney.
“It was an extremely loud boom,” Linda Green said. Green was visiting a friend’s home just beside the explosion for a holiday barbeque.
Neighbors tell WSAZ.com a down pouring of rain, coupled with strong winds and bolts of lightening were to blame. They say lightning hit a gas line sending flames and gas shooting into the air.
It happened on Hazel Drive about 5 p.m. Thursday.
“We were in the house and all of a sudden the lightning struck,” Green said.
Pinch Fire Chief David Wagoner said crews were letting the gas burn out to prevent further fires.
“It is dangerous because you have free flowing natural gas right now, but it is burning off and we have asked the closest neighbors to leave their residence just as a precaution,” Wagoner said.
Representatives from the gas company later determined the homes were safe to re-enter, which allowed people there to resume their holiday festivities.
Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.