UPDATE: 16-Year-Old Boy Accidentally Sets Home on Fire

UPDATE 7/8/14 @ 5:45 p.m.
MILTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A 16-year-old boy accidentally set his house on fire and ended up taking a trip to the hospital.

The fire broke out around 8:30 p.m. Monday evening in the 1900 block of Johns Creek Road in Milton.

Deputy Chief Timmy Chastain of the Milton Volunteer Fire Department said the boy has special needs and set a stuffed animal on fire in his bedroom Monday evening.

Chastain said the boy tried to smother the fire with a pile of clothes and received burns trying to put it out. His parents say he received first-degree burns.

Earl Hall heard the commotion upstairs in his son’s bedroom. When he went to see what was going on, he saw smoke.

Hall got his family and pets out of the house, called 911, and then grabbed a water hose and went back into the house to hold back flames until fire crews could get there.

Hall laid on a staircase to avoid smoke while he sprayed water on the fire. He unexpectedly had to use experience he gained from being a firefighter more than 16 years ago.

“I knew enough to keep me out of trouble,” Hall said. “To stay below the smoke and keep water on it until the professionals got here.

Hall spent eight and a half years as a firefighter and EMS worker with the Teays Valley Fire Department and said he never expected he would be fighting a fire in his own home.

Now, the cleanup begins.

“We’ve got a lot of water damage here,” Hall said. “It’s going to smell like smoke for a while. I’m going to be a couple weeks just cleaning up. You can smell the pungent odor; it’s horrible.”

The family is still able to live in the home. Despite the damage, Hall says he is thankful.

“Thought for sure we were going to lose it,” Hall said. “But it worked out. I’m going to have a mess, but I’m still going to have a home.”

Chastain said there will not be any charges filed, adding that this serves as a reminder to keep lighters and similar items away from children.



ORIGINAL STORY 7/7/14 @ 10:37 p.m.
MILTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A house fire sent a 16-year-old boy to the hospital Monday evening, Milton firefighters at the scene told WSAZ.com.

The fire was reported about 8:30 p.m. Monday in the 1900 block of Johns Creek Road.

The boy and his family were reportedly trying to extinguish the flames before firefighters arrived at the home along the narrow, two-lane road.

Smoke was showing from the second floor of the home when firefighters arrived. Some family members were downstairs, and the 16-year-old boy was upstairs -- apparently trying to extinguish the flames.

There is no word on the extent of his injuries.

In the end, firefighters put out the flames, saved the home from major fire damage and made sure the boy got to the hospital.

"Most of us have family, kids of our own. Kids always make the incident more heightened awareness," said Greg Rowsey with the Milton Volunteer Fire Department.

In an ironic twist, there's only been one firefighter fatality in Milton history, and he lived in the house that caught fire Monday evening.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 266141781 - wsaz.com/a?a=266141781
Gray Television, Inc.