Imagine doing a weekend chore, and suddenly your life changes in a matter of minutes. That's what happened to one Charleston man on Saturday. A fire ripped through his home around ten in the morning, and hardly anything was spared.
The sight is familiar, but the porch isn't. The place where one family once sat will never be the same again.
Not knowing where to start can be overwhelming, but not having life’s necessities can be devastating.
Marshall Mitchell called Patrick Street home for 20 years.
He is a mechanic, and was working to put a fuel pump in his car on Saturday, when it burst into flames.
But one thing remains very clear despite all of this confusion. He's got a good heart, and he's always helping people. And now the hour he needs it most, friends are giving the father a symbolic embrace.
“They are doing what they can,” said Mitchell. “I appreciate that.”
Each one knowing this fire claimed a house, but only strengthened a bond.
Mitchell’s friends are asking anyone who might be able to help, to please lend a hand. Meanwhile, he is being helped out by the Red Cross.