Twelve hours after an electrical fire shut down an entire block in the town of Man, the buildings were still smoldering. The flames started around 1:30 a.m. on Sunday morning destroying 14 apartments, a sewing shop, a gift shop and an insurance company. Amazingly, everyone made it out alive.
It's not easy to watch or look away. There is nothing you can say, but only memories to hang on to. The things that helped make Market Street home on Saturday are now trash, but what’s most precious is safe.
Keeping everyone safe is the issue now, because there is always a chance for it to burst back into flames. Somehow, flames didn’t burn down a barber shop nearby, but they did get the buildings on either side.
While things might look the same on the inside in some places, what’s inside the hearts and minds of residents of Man is forever changed. A vision for what’s next still isn't easy to see.
They have to take the buildings out of the heart of downtown, but leave the heart right in place.
The police chief says the department will keep watch over the buildings over the next couple of days. It's not clear yet how long clean up will take, but the mayor says he wants to get started soon.