Elderly Woman Dies In Fire

By: Doug Korstanje
By: Doug Korstanje

November 24

Investigators say Jency "May" Miller was a heavy smoker and a discarded cigarette found near her bed started the fire at her home in the 2700 block of 5th Avenue in Huntington.

Her daughter and granddaughter had gone for early Christmas shopping and got a phone call from relatives saying the house was on fire.

Mindy Smith, the victim's granddaughter, said, "It's kind of like we were out doing shopping for her for all of our kids and it's kind of like a surreal thing knowing one minute you're totally happy and the next minute your world is totally rocked."

May Miller had recently been in poor health and was just released from the hospital a few days ago. She was 75-years-old.

The family is working with the American Red Cross or temporary housing and clothing needs.

WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 4735291 - wsaz.com/a?a=4735291