The former owner of York's Appliance, Joseph "Butch" York has been indicted on charges he burned down his own business. Court records allege York blew up the building with natural gas.
The indictment states York created "a natural gas leak in his place of business known as York's TV & Appliance, 319 Bridge Street, Huntington, Cabell County, West Virginia, which said leak caused the building to explode."
The indictment came down Tuesday afternoon. According to court records, York has been indicted on these charges:
--- Second Degree Arson
--- Burning Insured Property
--- Falsifying Accounts
--- Wanton Endangerment Involving Destructive Devices, Explosive Materials, or Incendiary Devices
The fire started with an explosion on July 28, 2003. Within days, investigators ruled the fire arson, but they wouldn't release the details on exactly what sparked the explosion.
The fire destroyed York's Appliance and a neighboring hardware store.
WSAZ talked with Butch York after the fire. He didn't indicate that he knew how the fire started.
"I've told them everything I know," said York. "I don't know anyone who would do this. We had some customers, like anyone else, who were disgruntled, but I don't think anybody would do something like this!"
Click on the video links above to watch the original stories from 2003.
Stay with WSAZ.com for the latest. This story will be updated as we get more information.