The cause of the danger may surprise you. The sign that went up was small but the impact was big. Once the Fire Marshal declared this building unsafe, people living here at Shannon's Way apartments on 9th Avenue had just a short time to carry out their belongings and decide what to do next.
The Fire Marshal says the problems started with a crime. Someone wanted to steal copper from an electrical box did major damage. Inspectors then found other safety violations. The manager says this building is in the process of being sold and residents were told to get out by the end of May. That eviction happened sooner that anyone expected.
Manager Donald Porter says the building's owner is out of town until Sunday and won't be able to answer questions until then. Porter says he will staff the door during daylight hours to let residents return briefly to get the rest of their belongings. The Fire Marshal says no one will be allowed to live in the apartments again until all code violations are fixed.