Some renters have suddenly been forced out of their homes. The move was prompted after a bizarre incident captured the attention of the fire marshal.
It was hard for Delores Garden to hold back the tears, because she's lived in the McLelland Apartments for almost 30 years.
According to a police report, Jason Ratliff jumped out of a window during a drug buy. That prompted the fire department to inspect the building and several violation inside including a blocked fire escape and lack of emergency and exit lights.
“There’s so much wrong with this building, but it's home,” Sean Jackson said.
The first floor of the building is occupied by businesses, where there are no code violations. This shutdown is one of many the fire marshal says is needed for safety.
This isn't the first time the fire marshal has come down hard on the landlord. He's even gone to court over the problems inside that building.