UPDATE 10/11/13 @ 6:53 a.m.
FLATWOODS, Ky. (WSAZ) -- Firefighters say two people had to be rescued after a fire broke out in an apartment complex in Flatwoods, Ky. early Friday morning.
The fire was contained to one building at the Brentwood Apartments. It was reported about 2 a.m.
Investigators say a woman cooking french fries in a second floor apartment started a grease fire that spread, and forced the evacuation of the 8 unit building. At least a dozen people lived in the building.
The building has significant fire damage.
One of the people rescued lived in a second floor apartment.
Todd Barker told WSAZ.com he was asleep when he heard a commotion. Barker says at first he thought it was someone trying to break into his apartment.
He says when he went into the living room, the front door burst into flames and the apartment started filling up with smoke.
Barker says he then ran to a back room and saw a police officer shining a light up to his window.
The officer told him to hit the window and knock out a screen.
Firefighters then put up a ladder to that second floor window and helped him get out.
A woman in a first floor apartment also needed help from firefighters in getting out. We’re told she had health issues and was in a wheelchair.
There are no reported injuries.
The Red Cross was called to assist residents.
Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.
A Greenup County 911 dispatcher told WSAZ.com that a fire broke out at the Brentwood Apartment Complex in Flatwoods about 2 a.m. Friday.
At this time, there are no reports of injuries.
Law enforcement is asking drivers to avoid Powell Lane in Flatwoods between Clay Street and Mary Ellen Road. The dispatcher said this could affect traffic when schools open this morning.
Firefighters expect to be on the scene for several more hours.
We have a news crews headed to the scene.
Be sure to check back at WSAZ.com for the latest information.