SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Investigators are still trying to figure out what started a fire at an apartment building in South Charleston. It happened at around 5 p.m. on Saturday at 328 Fifth Avenue.
Charles Francis says he was leaving to pick up his kids when he noticed the side door of the building on fire.
Fire crews say smoke and flames did spread to one area inside a wall, causing minor damage to part of the roof.
Francis says it was all about timing.
"I opened up the door and the hallway was full of smoke," said Francis. "I walked down to the bottom, saw smoke coming around the door frame and ran upstairs. I got a pot of water and tried to put it out and called 911."
Officials say the fire is a good reminder to always put safety first.
"Change your batteries in your smoke detectors and just use common sense when you're trying to stay warm this time of year," said Travis Bayes, with the South Charleston Fire Department.
No one was hurt in the fire.