UPDATE 5/1/13 @ 12:25 a.m.
LAWRENCE COUNTY, Ohio (WSAZ) -- Two people, just passing by a neighborhood, jumped into action to fight a fire, taking the good samaritan approach to whole new level.
The fire happened Tuesday on Township Road 353 in Lawrence County, Ohio.
The real firefighters say they were impressed. While they don't recommend you go out in search of a fire to extinguish, what happened in South Point is proof that some people are willing to do whatever it takes.
Scott Wilson and Kim Gannon were driving down Buffalo Creek Road in South Point when they spotted the house fire. Their first action was to call 911. But they didn't stop there -- not even close.
"We approached the house, and heard a dog barking," said Scott. "We couldn't hear anyone else inside. So we grabbed this water hose and started squirting this one (neighboring house) down to keep it from catching fire."
Scott's friend, Kim, was very emotional in retelling their ordeal.
"He tried to fight the flames while I busted a window," said Kim. "There was an animal. I do know that. But I couldn't get him. I'm just grateful nobody's in the house."
For Scott and Kim, it was a real life hero experience they'll undoubtedly never forget, putting themselves at risk for homeowners they didn't even know. Their efforts did not go unnoticed.
John Music with the Fayette Township VFD was amazed at their bravery.
"They did the best they could and still continued to help us when we were on the inside and outside, until we could get enough people here to help with everything," said Music.
Despite the danger, Kim says she and Scott they didn't hesitate for a very important reason.
"Because there could have been a life in there, and I would never have forgiven myself," said Scott.
The house was a total loss. But, the two houses on either side were saved thanks in a large part to Scott and Kim.
The fire is at home in a small subdivision along Township Road 353.
Our crew on the scene says flames are shooting about 10 feet above the one-story home.
Firefighters have been able to keep the fire from spreading to neighboring homes.
A water relay has been set up to help with the fire fighting effort. A neighbor is even using a garden hose to help fight the fire.
There is no word if anyone was home when the fire started. We’re told there are no injuries. The fire was reported about 11:15 Tuesday morning.
Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.