UPDATE 9/11/11 @ 10:10 p.m.
HURRICANE, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A teenage boy is still recovering after he was severely burned in a house fire last December.
Since then the medical bills have been piling up, so now many are chipping in to help.
Sunday, the community took one of his favorite hobbies and turned it into profit.
$2,800 can now be added to DJ Brown's bank account, which will be a big help in paying for the several months he had to spend in the hospital.
A car show fundraiser was held at Hurricane High School where DJ was able to look under the hoods of more than 100 cars with his family by his side.
He picked a black Mustang as his favorite, because it reminds him of his own car that was damaged by fire last winter. The fire also destroyed his home and left him severely burned when he ran back inside for his mom.
“He was screaming that the house was on fire. I couldn't get through, but he tried to come back through to save me,” Elizabeth Brown, DJ’s mom, said.
They all made it out safely, but getting back on their feet hasn't been easy.
“They have really struggled. Hospital bills; who can imagine what kind of dollars we're talking about there,” Roger Dunbar, organizer of the car show, said.
“I hope they raise a lot of money for the kid. Pretty heroic thing he did for his family, so just trying to help him out,” Johnnie Muck, a car show participant, said.
“It means a lot to us,” Elizabeth Brown said.
The fundraiser means almost as much to DJ’s family as they do to him.
“I was just thinking about my family,” DJ said. “I wanted to get them out and make sure they were safe.”
As for his own car; he's hoping to get back behind the wheel soon.
After the fire, a class at the Putnam County Career and Technical Center took on the project of repairing it.
Back in December D.J. Brown went into a house in Hurricane to help his mother out after it caught fire.
D.J. was seriously burned and spent months in Shriners Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio.
He is a student at Hurricane High School and the principal told us he still hasn't returned to class because he is still recovering.
D.J.'s family lost everything in the fire, so to help out a car show is being held on Sunday.
The proceeds will go to the Brown family.
It will be held on the parking lot of Hurricane High School at 1 p.m.
D.J. Brown remains in critical condition. Neighbors say he was trying to rescue his family during a house fire. While they all escaped, D.J. nearly lost his life. Now the community is coming together to help D.J.
Students at Hurricane High School have made hundreds of get well cards to send to him at Shriner's Hospital in Cincinnati. The school also has started raising money and collecting clothes and other items.
D.J.'s friends also made jars and distributed them to area businesses so people could made donations.
Neighbors have also planned a fundraiser on Thursday, Dec. 24. From 4 to 7 p.m. that day, the McDonald's restaurants in Hurricane and Teays Valley will be donating 20 percent of their proceeds to D.J. and his family. There will also be a place for people to make additional donations.
15-year-old D.J. Brown remains in critical condition at Shriner's Hospital in Cincinnati. Neighbors say he rushed around his house to make sure his family got out of the burning home safely.
Now, Brown's neighbors are coming together to try and help him and his family. They've organized a fundraiser for Thursday, Dec. 23.
The McDonalds in Hurricane and Teays Valley will each be donating 20 percent of their proceeds from 4 to 7 p.m. The stores will also have donation jars for those who would like to contribute more.
15-year-old D.J. Brown was taken to the Cincinnati hospital for further treatment. He was listed in critical condition at Cabell-Huntington Hospital Saturday evening.
His neighbors say he acted heroically after he noticed the fire, which broke out around 10 a.m.
Flames shot out of the roof as the fire consumed the entire home.
One neighbor says she there was a knock on her door as the home was burning.
She rushed a blanket out to 15-year-old David Brown, who also goes by D.J.
She says he told her it was a kerosene heater that started the fire.
Neighbors are praying for D.J. in his recovery and for his family who's lost their home.
"A selfless thing for a 15-year-old boy to do," says Jeri Alley, one of the Browns’ neighbors. "He discovered the house on fire and went and woke up his mom and his sister, from what I understand. That's huge for a 15-year-old boy to do."
Firefighters say another person had minor injuries but was treated for them.
They also say the slick roads created some challenges in getting to the scene.
Firefighters tell us this fire started along Caroline Circle in Hurricane around 10 a.m.
Three people were inside the house. They were all able to make it out, but a 15-year-old boy was seriously burned and taken to the hospital.
Another person suffered minor burns and was treated at the scene.
The home is considered a total loss.
There's no word on what started the fire.
Dispatchers say the fire started along Caroline Circle in Hurricane around 10 a.m. Friday.
One person has been seriously burned.
We have a crew headed to the scene. Keep clicking WSAZ.com for more updates.
+ Ashland, KY
+ Athens, OH
+ Beckley, WV
+ Charleston, WV
+ Clarksburg, WV
+ Clay, WV
+ Gallipolis, OH
+ Huntington, WV
+ Ironton, OH
+ Logan, WV
+ Morgantown, WV
+ Paintsville, KY
+ Parkersburg, WV
+ Pikeville, KY
+ Pomeroy, OH
+ Ripley, WV
+ Spencer, WV
+ Sutton, WV
+ Wayne, WV
+ Wheeling, WV
+ Williamson, WV