NITRO, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Smoke and flames spread fast at a home in Nitro Saturday evening.
Crews responded to the 400 block of Dupont Avenue just after 6 p.m. They say the fire started in the kitchen near the stove and then spread.
Five people were inside at the time including three kids and two adults.
Everyone made it out safely except for the pet cat. Firefighters found the cat unresponsive but were able to bring it back to life.
"Any kind of rescue we have is a win for the department." Lt. Robert Ely said. "Anytime that we can save any property or anybody's pet, cause a lot of people's pets are just like children."
Both the Nitro and Dunbar fire departments responded. Firefighters say they used a special respirator made just for pets to resuscitate the cat.
Keep clicking WSAZ.com for the latest information.