Elderly Man Dies in Apartment Fire; Name Released

By: Jennifer Rizzi Email
By: Jennifer Rizzi Email

UPDATE 5/7/13 @ 9:30 a.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- The name of an elderly man killed in a high-rise apartment building fire in Charleston has been released.

Firefighters tell WSAZ.com, a fire broke out in Bobby Jett's apartment on the third floor at Agsten Manor on Randolph Street on April 21.

Jett was not able to get out of the apartment.

No one else was hurt. The fire was contained to Jett's apartment.

Firefighters believe the fire was started by a cigarette.

Jett was 76-years-old.



UPDATE 4/21/13 @ 11:35 p.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- An elderly man was found dead after a fire inside his home at a high-rise apartment building on the West Side.

Investigators say the flames broke out after 4 a.m. inside his third-floor room at Agsten Manor on Randolph Street.

Brenda Smallwood lives on the same floor and says the fire woke her up from a sound sleep.

"I opened my door and you could smell it," she said. "The smoke was getting so bad, it was so strong you couldn't stand it."

The fire was contained to the victim's apartment, and no one else was injured.

But tenants say it took away a beloved member of their community who will be dearly missed.

"He was kind and sweet," Smallwood said. "Sometimes I'd knock on his door and help him out with food to eat."

Now, Smallwood is worried for herself and for other seniors living there. She says they can't always hear the fire alarms.

"I'm on medication and I can't always hear them," she said. "I'm afraid there's going to be another [fire] in our building and one of these days we're not going to wake up."

The cause is still being determined, but investigators say it appears to have started from a cigarette.

Crews say the building had a sprinkler system and did not have to be evacuated.

Investigators say the victim lived alone. His name has not been released.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.



ORIGINAL STORY
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- An elderly man was found dead after a fire inside his home at a high-rise apartment building.

Investigators say the flames broke out after 4 a.m. inside his room at Agsten Manor on Randolph Street on the West Side.

The cause is still being determined, but investigators say it appears to have started from a cigarette. It did not spread to any other apartments, and no one else was injured.

Crews say the building had a sprinkler system and did not have to be evacuated.

Investigators say the victim lived alone. His name has not been released.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 203996701 - wsaz.com/a?a=203996701
Gray Television, Inc.