UPDATE: Kanawha County Teens Sentenced for Brutal Home Invasion

By: Brooks Jarosz, Carrie Jones Email
By: Brooks Jarosz, Carrie Jones Email

UPDATE 7/22/11 @ 10:20 p.m.
KANAWHA COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Two teens who admitted to brutally beating and robbing an elderly woman for her prescription pills learned their fate in court on Friday.

Shane Peck and Joseph Gibson both apologized for leaving 79-year-old Geraldine Gibson battered, beaten and bruised in her Big Chimney home in March.

They addressed her family and the court on Friday morning.

"The crimes I have committed is because I was on drugs or for drugs," defendant Shane Peck said. "I'm terribly sorry for the pain and the losses of my victims. I am also sorry for disturbing the safety of society and disrupting people in their neighborhoods and homes."

Peck added, "I pray that you please forgive me."

"Even though I think I acted in the heat of the moment, I feel that I'm responsible for my actions, your honor," defendant Joseph Gibson said. "I take full responsibility."

Geraldine Gibson died just a few weeks ago. However, prosecutors say there is no evidence linking her injuries to her death.

Prosecutors say the two teens have been responsible for several burglaries and break ins.

"They have no conscience, they think crimes are a game," prosecuting attorney Fred Giggenbach said. "Our goal all along was to get these two sociopaths off the street."

It's an act Judge Duke Bloom doesn't take lightly.

"I have never seen a more savage act performed on an innocent, elderly victim," Judge Duke Bloom said. "It's picking on the weakest and the most vulnerable element of our community -- those who we should love and cherish the most."

Bloom sentenced both Peck and Gibson to 75 years in jail for first-degree robbery.

The victim's family says there's still pain but, if their mother could face her attackers, she would be pleased.

"She just wanted them to be punished for what they had done to her," the victim's daughter Norma Longsworth said. "She was very, very concerned; she didn't want it to happen to someone else."

Peck and Gibson will spend at least 75 years behind bars and additional time for other robberies.

They could be eligible for parole in 30 years.

UPDATE 7/22/11 @ 11:30 a.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Two teenagers who admitted to beating and robbing an elderly woman learned their fate on Thursday.

Shane Peck and Joseph Gibson pleaded guilty to breaking into Geraldine Gibson's home in Big Chimney in March.

Friday, Peck and Gibson apologized openly to the family in court, they say they were after prescription drugs.

Geraldine Gibson was tied up and beaten during the incident and was left badly bruised and in ICU for days.

Geraldine died earlier in July; an autopsy was ordered to see if her death was caused by the beating.

Prosecutors say the autopsy results show, Geraldine did not die from the brutal attack.

The judge sentenced Peck and Gibson to 75 years behind bars for first degree robbery.

UPDATE 7/6/11 @ 8:50 p.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Geraldine Gibson's death raises questions if it could be related to the beating she suffered during a home invasion earlier this year.

Those are questions Kanawha County Prosecutor Mark Plants wants answered.

Gibson was 79 when she died Sunday.

Shane Peck and Joseph Gibson have been convicted of breaking into her house in Big Chimney in March. They tied Gibson up, then beat and robbed her.

Peck and Gibson were set to be sentenced on Thursday, but that has been delayed until July 22 so an autopsy can be performed. Plants say he expects the autopsy to take a couple of weeks.

Joseph Gibson and Geraldine Gibson were not related.

UPDATE 7/6/11 @ 5:19 a.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) -- Kanawha County prosecutors plan to ask to delay the sentencing of two teenagers, because the woman they admitted to robbing and beating has victim has died.

Shane Peck, 19, and Joseph Gibson, 18, admitted they beat and tied up Geraldine Gibson back in March.

The Gibsons are not related.

Geraldine Gibson died earlier this week.

The circumstances surrounding her death have not been released, but prosecutors want to postpone the sentencing -- which was scheduled for Thursday -- until the results of an autopsy are available.

UPDATE 5/16/11 @ 11:30 a.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A teenager from Kanawha County has admitted to beating and robbing an elderly woman.

Shane Peck pleaded guilty Monday to robbery and assault.

Peck and another teenager, Joseph Gibson, broke into Geraldine Gibson's house in Big Chimney back in March. That is when police say they beat and robbed her.

Geraldine Gibson was hurt so badly she was in ICU for days after the crime.

Peck and Gibson say Geraldine's son came up with the plan to rob the house and he was actually supposed to keep her in the back of the house, while Peck and Gibson broke in.

Geraldine's son denies those allegations that were made in court. He has never been charged.

Peck will be sentenced July 7.

Gibson pleaded guilty last week to similar charges.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.

UPDATE 5/11/11 @ 10:45 p.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A 19-year-old Kanawha County man will spend decades in jail for a series of break-ins and thefts.

Shane Peck was sentenced Wednesday to 45 years in prison for stealing an ATV in Sissonville in December and then -- the same day -- breaking into two homes and a car along Matthew Drive in Charleston.

Peck is scheduled back in court Monday. That's when he will go on trial for allegedly breaking into Geraldine Gibson's home, then beating and robbing her.

The attack was so brutal, Gibson was in intensive care for days.

UPDATE 4/6/11 @ 9:15 p.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Two teenagers accused of beating and robbing an elderly woman say they didn't do it.

Shane Peck and Joseph Gibson on Wednesday pleaded not guilty to breaking into Geraldine Gibson's home in Big Chimney in March. Gibson, 79, ended up in a Charleston hospital's intensive care unit.

A trial for the pair is planned in May. On Monday, Peck and Gibson will go on trial on unrelated charges.

UPDATE 3/16/11 @ 12:15 a.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A 79 year old woman robbed, beaten, tied up and left for dead.

But Geraldine Gibson survived. Tuesday, she was in court to face the two young men accused in the crime.

Showing no fear, she had a very active role in the preliminary hearing. "This boy right there," she said, pointing to her right.

After just a few seconds on the witness stand, Geraldine Gibson got right to the task of pinning a crime on the two teenagers sitting across from her. Ms. Gibson says Shane Peck and Joseph Gibson -- who's no relation to Geraldine -- stormed through the front door of her home in Big Chimney two weeks ago.

"He knocked me down and sat on me," Geraldine told the court. "Then he was telling the other one to get the tape and tie her up."

After eyeing a safe that belonged to Geraldine's late husband, she says the abuse got even worse.

"He said I'd better tell him where that safe key was or he was going to kill me. The other one had a rifle and said if I made any noise when they left, they would come back and shoot me."

Fortunately, her attackers finally left, and Geraldine's will to survive kicked into to overdrive. She struggled to get to a phone and managed to call 911.

Geraldine Gibson may not have been able to put up much a fight that day. But this time, the boys accused of such a cowardly crime met their match in magistrate court.

UPDATE 3/15/11 @ 11:45 p.m.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Two teenagers accused of brutally beating and robbing an elderly woman were back in court Tuesday.

Shane Peck and Joseph Gibson are charged with breaking into Geraldine Gibson's home, tying her up, beating and robbing her. Gibson is 79 years old.

Peck and Gibson were in court for their preliminary hearing.

Gibson took the stand and told the court about the terror she experienced the night of the home invasion.

The judge in the case found probable cause and sent it on to the grand jury.

Peck and Gibson are being held on a $5 million bond.

UPDATE 03/06/11 @ 2:15 p.m.
KANAWHA COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Two teenagers have been arrested in connection with the beating of an elderly woman during a home invasion.

The Kanawha County Sheriff's Department says Joseph Gibson, 18, of Charleston was arrested Saturday evening. Shane Peck, 19, of Sissonville was arrested in the early morning hours of Sunday, March 6.

Deputies say both Gibson and Peck are charged with armed robbery, assault, burglary and kidnapping.

They're accused of breaking into Geraldine Gibson's home in Big Chimney on Thursday, tying her up, beating and robbing her. She is 79 years old.

Both of the suspects have been taken to the South Central Regional Jail.

At this time, deputies say at this time, Joseph Gibson and Geraldine Gibson do not appear to be related.

If Shane Peck's name sounds familiar, that's because he's been in the news before.

In January 2011, Peck and another teen, Christian Bowles, were arrested in Sissonville, for allegedly stealing an ATV from a home on Poca River Run Road.

Kanawha County Sheriff's Deputies say they were able to find Peck and Bowles by following the ATV tracks in the snow.

Both were charged with breaking and entering and possession of stolen property.

Then in February 2011, Peck showed up in court for those breaking and entering charges, but didn't stay very long.

Prosecutors tell WSAZ.com that during the hearing on February 14th, Peck stood up, said he was a menace to society, and ran out of the courtroom.

Sheriff's Deputies say when Peck was picked up Sunday morning, that was the first time they had seen him since he ran out on his hearing.

UPDATE 3/4/11 @ 9:30 p.m.
BIG CHIMNEY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Robbed, beaten and tied up -- an elderly woman fell victim to a traumatic home invasion, with family members convinced the suspects planned on leaving her for dead.

Geraldine Gibson, 79, is out of the intensive care unit and recovering in a Charleston hospital from injuries sustained in a brutal crime.

Gibson has lived in a trailer along Kirkwood Drive in Big Chimney for more than 20 years.

She says a man came to the door, asking to come in and use the phone. Gibson declined, though, and the man left.

Later, Gibson says two men came back and forced their way inside her home.

A safe haven became a crime scene as the two men left her battered, beaten and bruised.

"They said if I hollered or anything they would shoot me," Gibson said. "They just wrapped the tape clear around my head two or three times back through my mouth."

Gibson admits she put up a fight, but is now just happy to be alive after crawling to the phone to call 911 after the thieves left.

"I didn't have time to think," Gibson said. "I didn't know what was happening."

Family members are on edge, hoping the two men who hurt their loved one will be caught.

"They have no compassion for a human being or they would have never ever done that to my mom," daughter Norma Longsworth said.

"It breaks your heart," daughter Marlena Gibson said. "I mean, how could you do this to her and go home and live with yourself?"

After the beating, the men ransacked her home, stealing money and prescription pills.

It's a brutal crime that's shaken the family to the core.

The Kanawha County Sheriff's Department is actively pursuing this case and describe the two men as white males in their 20s -- one with blond buzz-cut hair and the other with brown hair.

Both men were seen by neighbors wearing dark blue coats and jeans.

"I don't have anything to say to them," Gibson said. "Anybody that would do something like that they're not worth the time you waste talking with them."

Gibson is doing well and should be able to go home this weekend.

KANAWHA COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- An elderly woman was forced to crawl to a phone to dial for help after being beaten and tied up during a home invasion Thursday afternoon.

The Kanawha County Sheriff's Department responded to the call on Kirkwood Drive in the Big Chimney area.

Deputies discovered that a 79-year-old woman had been severely beaten and tied up.

Investigators say two men forced their way into her home and assaulted her. they then stole cash and fled from the scene.

The victim was able to crawl to a phone and call 911. She was taken to the hospital for treatment.

A witness identifies the suspects as in their 20's and wearing blue colored jackets and jeans. One of the men had blonde, buzz cut hair. The other had brown hair.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office at 304-357-0169.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117371558 - wsaz.com/a?a=117371558
Gray Television, Inc.