UPDATE: Family of Four Escapes Fire that Destroys Home

By: WSAZ News Staff; Andrew Colegrove Email
By: WSAZ News Staff; Andrew Colegrove Email

UPDATE 8/12/13 @ 7 p.m.
FORT GAY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A family of four now has to start over after their house caught fire early Monday morning.

Sam Mosley woke up to flames in his bedroom about 6:45 a.m. Monday.

"I felt something hot, and I woke up,” Mosley said. “I saw flames and smoke everywhere."

His first reaction was to get his family out.

His girlfriend Erica Young was asleep on the couch in the living room with their 16-month-old daughter and 8-year-old daughter.

"It about gave me a heart attack because I didn't know what in the world was going on," Young said.

They got the kids out safely. By the time they went back to try to salvage whatever they could and save their pet Chihuahua, it was too late.

"I went in the living room, and it was black,” Young said. “I couldn't see anything, couldn't breath in because of the smoke. I went and hollered. His name was Frances, and he wouldn't come."

Now their 8-year-old daughter is left with only the clothes she was wearing just days before the first day of school.

"We have nothing,” Mosley said. “We literally have nothing."

The family doesn't have insurance.

For now, they're staying at Mosley’s mom's place.

They’re grateful they're safe and together, but where to go from here, they don't know.

"We gotta find a new home, gotta find everything, start over,” Young said. “I don't know how in the world we're going to do it."

Mosley says he's been laid off the past couple months. He says he's usually out of the house by 6 in the morning, doing different odd jobs with his brother.

He feels very fortunate he was home Monday morning because his girlfriend is a very sound sleeper, and if he hadn't been there it could have been a lot worse.

The landlord says it appears the fire started in the bedroom with a faulty fan that had been taken apart and then put back together.



ORIGINAL STORY
FORT GAY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A family of four escaped a fire that destroyed their home early Monday morning.

Firefighters were called to the mobile home in the 700 block of Fort Gay Road in Wayne County about 6:45 a.m.

Steve Robinson with the Prichard Fire Department says the two adults, their 16-month-old daughter and 8-year-old daughter were asleep when the fire started. Robinson says the family dog did not survive the fire.

The man who lived in the home told WSAZ.com that he believed the fire started in a bedroom, but he had no idea how it started.

He also said there were no smoke alarms in the trailer.

Flames were shooting from the trailer when crews arrived on the scene.

The trailer was destroyed in the fire. Right now, there is no word on how the fire started.

We’re told the family did not have insurance. The Red Cross has been called in to help.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 219246071 - wsaz.com/a?a=219246071