UPDATE 3/24/14 @ 5:15 p.m.
LOGAN, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Investigators with the West Virginia State Fire Marshal's Office were in Logan Tuesday working to figure out what might have caused two fires that destroyed a two-story home.
They tell WSAZ.com that could take some time. They say the fire was massive, involving four homes. The flames were so hot, they melted cars, an ATV and siding on nearby homes.
"It could have been a lot worse," Assistant Fire Marshal Shawn Alderman said. "This could have been extremely tragic incident just due to the size of the incident."
Logan firefighters say an 82-year-old man who lives in a house behind the home that was destroyed had to be taken to the hospital with first-degree burns.
"They're lucky that only one person was injured and transported to the hospital with some minor burns to the hands and some smoke inhalation," Alderman said.
Firefighters were able to safely evacuate all the other homes in the area, which was no easy task considering what was going on around them.
"This was just a big fire," Alderman said. "There were a lot of complexities. Power lines being down, propane tanks going off, two separate brush fires."
As for a possible cause, investigators say it's still too early to say for sure.
"Its going to take a couple days, at the very least, to try to narrow down what's going on here," Alderman said. "It's extensive. There's going to be a lot of witness interviews. A lot of people on the scene that we'll have to talk to."
The four people who lived in the home that was destroyed have lost everything. WSAZ.com has learned those affected have been told they have been referred to the Red Cross.
If you have any information on this fire, you're urged to call the West Virginia State Fire Marshal's Office at 1-800-233-FIRE. You can remain anonymous.
That fire was reported just before 10 p.m. Monday.
Earlier Monday, a family was homeless after a fire along Cole Street in Logan.
That fire happened just after 5:30 p.m. Monday.
It was immediately unknown if the two fires are connected.
Further details about the latest fire are unavailable.
Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest on this story.