FLOYD COUNTY, Ky. (WSAZ) -- A gas line explosion likely caused a house to partially collapse following an explosion Thursday afternoon.
The house is located along Turner Branch in Floyd County, Ky. The collapse happened just after 1 p.m.
Maytown firefighters say they were keeping an eye on the weather situation when they got the called out to a structure collapse.
"Got the tones that a home had collapsed with occupants in it," Firefighter Eddie Scarberry said.
Initially firefighters say they thought they would be dealing with some type of storm damage but when they arrived on scene they realized the partial collapse was caused by an explosion.
"The whole top of the roof was falling in, the upstairs first," Joniann Marshall, lives nearby and says.
Fire officials say they could smell a strong odor of gas and immediately notified the gas and electric companies to shut off service.
Officials say there were two people inside the home at the time of the explosion, both did get out safely.
"The gas line runs up through here and right under the house so I think there was a leak there and the gas just accumulated in the house. Anything could have sparked it, refrigerator kicking on or television or whatever," Scarberry said.
Officials say the area is safe and there is no threat to any other homes.