WSAZ - Local News and Breaking News Coverage for West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky

NEW INFO: Carbon Monoxide Leak at Post Office

By: Jennifer Rizzi, Brooks Jarosz Email
By: Jennifer Rizzi, Brooks Jarosz Email

UPDATE: 5/11/13 @ 9:55 p.m.
SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- No one was hurt after dangerous levels of carbon monoxide were discovered inside a post office.

Firefighters tell WSAZ.com they responded early enough that everyone evacuated the building before someone was hurt. Several people were checked out by medics as a precaution.

It was reported about 8 a.m. Saturday at the United States Post Office on 4th Avenue and D Street in South Charleston.

Brenda Burket comes to the South Charleston Post Office every day, but Saturday the trip felt a lot different.

Burket and her sister arrived just hours after a dangerous gas leak caused the building to be evacuated.

"It scared us," she said. "This is the last place you would have thought to get sick."

Employees say they smelled a strong odor of sulfur shortly after 7 a.m. and called for help.

Investigators identified the problem as a carbon monoxide leak and traced it to a fork lift in the warehouse.

They say a battery charger to the equipment malfunctioned, emitting the gas.

"Anybody exposed to that level or an extended period of time would start feeling sick and have flu-like symptoms," said VIrgil White, South Charleston assistant fire chief.

Crews say it took two hours to ventilate the building and left the doors open as a precaution.

No one was injured during the leak. Employees were evaluated by medics in the parking lot.

Officials say the building will continue to be monitored throughout the weekend.

UPDATE: 5/11/13 @ 2:15 p.m.
SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- No one was hurt after dangerous levels of carbon monoxide were discovered inside a post office.

Firefighters tell WSAZ.com they responded early enough that everyone evacuated the building before someone was hurt. Several people were checked out by medics as a precaution.

It was reported about 8 a.m. Saturday at the United States Post Office on 4th Avenue and D Street in South Charleston.

Fire officials say the leak was caused by a malfunctioning battery charger for a fork lift at the post office. They say the batteries began leaking.

More information is expected to be released later this afternoon. The post office did reopen following the incident.

Keep clicking WSAZ.com for the latest information.



ORIGINAL STORY: 5/11/13
SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Medics have been called to a Post Office where dispatchers say several people have been exposed to carbon monoxide.

The call came in just before 8:00 a.m. Saturday.

Dispatchers say high levels of CO were reported at the Post Office on 4th Avenue and D Street.

Several patients are being checked out, but nobody has been taken to the hospital at this time.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 207037901