UPDATE: Man Burned in House Fire Dies; Daughter Remains Hospitalized

By: Rahel Solomon, WSAZ News Staff Email
By: Rahel Solomon, WSAZ News Staff Email

UPDATE 11/7/13 @ 10:15 p.m.
MAN, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- An elderly man severely burned in a house fire has died.

The State Fire Marshal's Office tells WSAZ.com George Hatfield, 87, died from his injuries Thursday at Cabell Huntington Hospital.

The fire happened Sunday afternoon in the 400 block of Main Street in Man.

Hatfield's daughter was also severely burned in the fire. She remains in critical condition.

Assistant Fire Marshal Shawn Alderman tells WSAZ.com the fire was likely sparked by a cigarette. Fire crews found no working smoke detectors in the home.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.



UPDATE 11/5/13 @ 6:15 p.m.
MAN, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- It has been a week of dangerous fires in West Virginia.

A fire broke out Tuesday morning in the 3600 block of Paddle Creek Road in the Fort Gay section of Wayne County.

A woman inside the home was killed.

“It's another sad day on the job,” Assistant Fire Marshal Shawn Alderman said Tuesday.

Tuesday morning’s fire comes just days after a serious fire Sunday afternoon. It happened in the 400 block of Main Street in Man, W.Va., which is in Logan County.

Fire crews tell us a woman inside that home was able to drag an elderly man from the burning home. Both were taken to Cabell Huntington Hospital where they are listed in critical condition.

“When I saw that they were out of the house, that brought some relief but I was shocked to see the condition they were in,” neighbor Frank Combs told WSAZ.com shortly after the fire.

Alderman tells WSAZ.com Sunday’s fire was likely sparked by a cigarette. Fire crews found no working smoke detectors in the home.

According to the State Fire Marshal’s Office, the lack of smoke detectors or working smoke detectors has become a dangerous trend.

“The deck is stacked against us,” Alderman said.

On Monday, Logan City firefighters told Alderman about a random check recently of 25 apartment buildings with 150 apartments where only three apartments had operating working smoke detectors.

For neighbors in Man, Sunday’s incident offered two examples of the dangers of living without a smoke detector.

“I'll be thinking about my home,” Combs said. “I know my fire alarms work, and I'll be thinking about them in my prayers, too.”



UPDATE 11/3/13 @ 6:15 p.m.
MAN, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Two people had to be flown to the hospital Sunday afternoon after flames tore through a home in Man, West Virginia.

The state fire marshal's office is investigating the fire. It happened just after 1:00 p.m. in the 400 block of Main Street.

The fire marshal says a woman in her mid 50's and an elderly man, about 80 years old, were inside the home.

The woman was able to drag the man out of the house, but both suffered severe burns.

Investigators say a mattress was placed close to a heater. They're looking into the possibility that that may have started it. However, no official cause has been released.

According to the fire marshal, there were no working smoke detectors inside.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.



ORIGINAL STORY
MAN, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- The state fire marshal's office has been called in to investigate a house fire in Man.

It happened just after 1:00 a.m. at a home in the 400 block of Main Street.

The fire marshal investigating the case says two people were hurt in the fire and had to be flown to the hospital.

WSAZ has a crew on the scene.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 230426291 - wsaz.com/a?a=230426291