UPDATE: Kanawha School Raising Money for Student Burned in House Fire

By: WSAZ News Staff Email
By: WSAZ News Staff Email

UPDATE 12/19/12 @ 9:45 p.m.
KANAWHA COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Early Wednesday morning, the holidays took a tragic turn for a family outside of St. Albans when their home went up in flames.

"That we're all praying for him and we miss him and we love him and we hope for the best," said Elizabeth Sowards, Jaden’s friend.

Jaden Mellert was in the house when the fire started and received burns to over 30 percent of his body. He had to be taken to a burn unit in Pittsburgh.

"This really caught us by surprise today," Hayes Middle School Principal Scott Monty said. "So, we have a lot of students that are worried about Jaden and keeping him in their prayers."

Elizabeth Sowards is one of those students, but she knows him better than most.

Sowards and Mellert live just a couple houses away from one another and have gone to school together since the first grade.

"I was like, I started crying because I didn't know, like, how bad it was. Because like people were saying he was unconscious and stuff and he that he had like stuff in his lungs -- and I didn't know what was going to happen, I was just like really upset," Sowards said.

So, to help ease the pain, nearly all of Jaden’s classmates have signed oversized cards with special messages written to him and displaying his trademark talent -- drawing.

"Oh my gosh -- he's amazing at drawing. Like he's, you saw the pictures of the Transformer he drew. He can draw people perfectly -- he's awesome," Sowards said.

And while Mellert starts a long recovery, he’ll show others how to stay strong.

"He's a role model for all of us," Monty said.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.



ORIGINAL STORY
ST. ALBANS, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A teenager is in a burn unit after a fire destroyed his home.

The fire started about 2 a.m. Wednesday on Main Drive near St. Albans.

Jaden Mellert was burned over 30 percent of his body. He is in a burn unit in Pittsburgh.

One other person was hurt in the fire. That person's name and condition have not been released.

Neighbors say the fire spread through the house very quickly.

"It went up really quickly before the fire department could even get here," Chris Ball, Mellert's neighbor said. "The house, the roof had already collapsed in and everything. So it was uh, it was really quick."

Mellert is in the 8th grade at Hayes Middle School.

School officials say they are taking donations for Mellert and his family.

If you would like to help out, you can drop off a donation at the school.



UPDATE 12/19/12 @ 6:30 a.m.
ST. ALBANS, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Two people were injured in a house fire and one of them is a boy now at a burn unit in Cincinnati.

The fire started at 1:55 a.m. Wednesday at a house at 2262 Main Drive.

The other burn victim was taken to a local hospital.

Four people lived in the house.

Neighbors say the roof had already collapsed when firefighters arrived on the scene.

Names of the burn victims haven't been released.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.



ORIGINAL STORY 12/19/12
ST. ALBANS, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Two people were injured in a house fire in St. Albans.

A Metro 911 dispatcher told WSAZ.com both people sustained burns after a home at 2262 Main Drive caught fire.

This is on the west side of the city.

The fire happened about 1:55 a.m. Wednesday.

Dispatchers said both burn victims were conscious and alert when taken to the hospital.

One of them was flown to a hospital outside West Virginia.

Names of the burn victims haven't been released.

Be sure to check back at WSAZ.com for the latest information.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 184075951 - wsaz.com/a?a=184075951
Gray Television, Inc.