12 AM Update
Rain is approaching and will be mixed with sleet overnight. That sleet would rattle off the window panes but melt in the I-64 zone.
Meanhwhile ice trouble is brewing for southern Ohio with slippery sidewalks and iced over windshields likely at dawn from say Lucasville-Minford to Rio Grande-Parkersburg and points north and west of that line.
The question I can not answer definitively is if this turn into an all day ice storm(40% chance) or will temperatures rise to say 35-37 and have a mainly wet day unfold after the initial icing (60% chance).
One thing for sure, an all out ice and snow storm is on tap for the I-71 trip from Cincy to Columbus and north and for the entire I-70 stretch through Indiana-Ohio and Pa. Bet Dayton gets 15" of snow while Columbus measures 6" in north suburbs (Murfield Village) to 3" with sleet,ice and slush in south suburbs (Circleville).
Most areas in wsaz.com territory will see a cold rain cause some street flooding today with a change to wet snow tonight. Look for a slushy inch or so by dawn Thursday.
5 PM Add On
Parts of Western and Central Ohio are under a Blizzard Warning from the NWS with all but Southeastern Ohio (our fair part of the world) likely to experience severe winter conditions. Travel is not recommended to Dayton, Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland after midnight tonight.
Travelers Alert for Wednesday
On this grey and chilly Christmas afternoon weather-wise there is nothing merry about what’s coming.
I wanted to alert Wednesday travelers of a major storm heading into the Ohio Valley.
The storm gets underway late tonight with a mix of rain and sleet locally. If you live in Southern Ohio away from Ironton by 20 miles, you may deal with some icy sidewalks and bridges at sunrise. That area extends from Lewis Ky to Scioto, Jackson, Gallia, Meigs, Athens, Vinton Ohio. In WV, Northern Mason, Wirt, Northern Jackson and Wood Counties are also targets for some slick conditions for a few hours.
The eastward facing WV mountains are also fair game for a Wednesday ice storm with the Greenbrier Valley a sitting duck for this nasty phenom as cold air gets dammed up against the eastern slopes.
For most, Wednesday will be a rainy and chilly day with a changeover to wet snow and sleet by nightfall. That means roads will be wet all day.
There is likely to be a coating of snow Wednesday night that will lead to some slick travel locally.
Meanwhile a mean winter storm set-up is brewing for areas north and west of our region by 100 miles.
Travelers to Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, the Jefferson Outlets and Wheeling-Pittsburgh should be prepared for a heavy accumulating snow and ice storm on Wednesday. This puts interstates like I-70, 71, 80, 68 and the northern end of I-77, 79 in the target zone.
As for the Bluegrass of Kentucky, travel should be wet with rain thru midday Wednesday with a slushy coating of snow likely from Lexington west to Louisville in the afternoon-night period.
+ Ashland, KY
+ Athens, OH
+ Beckley, WV
+ Charleston, WV
+ Clarksburg, WV
+ Clay, WV
+ Gallipolis, OH
+ Huntington, WV
+ Ironton, OH
+ Logan, WV
+ Morgantown, WV
+ Paintsville, KY
+ Parkersburg, WV
+ Pikeville, KY
+ Pomeroy, OH
+ Ripley, WV
+ Spencer, WV
+ Sutton, WV
+ Wayne, WV
+ Wheeling, WV
+ Williamson, WV