UPDATE 11/28/12 @ 11:30 p.m.
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Fire ripped through an apartment building in Huntington Wednesday, sending families into the streets.
Later that night, they were trying to figure out where to go and what to do next.
Quentin Neighborgall lives in the apartment building at 1024 8th St. and says his apartment is a mess. Still, he's just thankful to be alive.
"I didn't realize how serious it was because there was just a little bit of smoke in this room, but by the time I got outside it was hard to breathe," Neighborgall said. "It's kind of scary."
Neighborgall is among the dozen or so people left picking up what's left of their apartments. It happened just before 2 p.m. Wednesday -- the result of an electrical fire in the basement of the building.
Tenants were sent running for their safety.
Jordan Jefferies was among those tenants. He says he's glad everyone made it out but is concerned about his belongings inside.
"We come out here and the whole side of the building is just smoked up," Jefferies said. "And then, we're standing out here and you're like, you hope everything is OK; you hope all your stuff is safe."
The state fire marshal says there was an electrical short in some wiring in the basement.
Before anyone can move back in, the building must be inspected and cleaned.
The fire at 1024 8th St. was reported at 1:45 p.m. Wednesday.
WSAZ.com is told there are six apartments in the building and everyone got out OK.
We have a crew at the scene. Initial reports indicate the fire started in the basement and spread to several of the apartments. No word on damage to the building.
Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.