Tenant Blames Burning Incense for Huntington Apartment Fire

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Several people are homeless after an enormous fire at an apartment building in Huntington.

It started Friday morning about 1:30 on West 5th Street and Adams Avenue.

The man who lives in the apartment where this started, Carlos Richmond, tells WSAZ.com he fell asleep with incense burning.

“We weather-proofed the house so it would stay warm,” Richmond said. “We had heavy duty plastic. I guess the incense dropped off and burned up the plastic. It just went up in flames."

Richmond says when he woke up, his ceiling and door were on fire.

He says he ran out of his apartment in his underwear and banged on his neighboring tenants’ door where a man and woman lived, and they all made it out safely.

Richmond says he had two small propane tanks in his apartment he'd used for cooking as well.

The roof of the building collapsed. Crews spent hours trying to get the flames to go out.

The Huntington fire chief says the home next door was also evacuated and damaged.


WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 239583831 - wsaz.com/a?a=239583831
Gray Television, Inc.