BARBOURSVILLE, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A dad and his two young children escaped a fire that destroyed their mobile home and heavily damaged a neighboring mobile home Monday morning.
The fire happened about 11:15 a.m. Monday along Braxton Drive, which is off Darnell Road near the Huntington-Barboursville line.
The homeowner, Roger Short, told WSAZ.com that he heard a loud pop in the part of the trailer where his 3 and 5-year-old kids were playing. At the time he thought it was just something the children were doing.
A very short time later, a smoke alarm in the trailer went off. Short said he then went to check out the alarm. When he opened door to a room near where the kids were playing, flames engulfed the wall.
Short was able to get the children out of the home to safety. He went back in and was able to save the family dog.
Short said he had the kids run to neighbor David Arthur's home across the street to get help. Arthur then ran to the home of Phyllis Copley, whose trailer was beginning to catch fire. Arthur kicked down the door and got out the older woman who lived there.
"I would not have made it to my kids if it wasn't for the fire alarm," Short explained. "Phyllis, man, she would have been gone, too."
Mom, Jackie Short, got the call while she was working that the fire had happened.
"When I came in I just hugged them, I thought the worst," Short said. "But then I seen them and I thought, 'Oh my God, thank God my babies are OK.' "
Roger Short was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. He is expected to be OK.
Jackie Short says fire crews told her electrical wiring could be to blame for the blaze.
The Barboursville Volunteer Fire Department and the Huntington Fire Department, along with three others, responded to the fire.