HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Two years after a break-in and attempted antiquities theft at the Huntington Museum of Art, the two men arrested following the alleged crime have been indicted by a grand jury.
Remington Wright, 25, and Deon Staunton, 26, both of Beckley, were indicted by a Cabell County Grand Jury on April 10.
The men face charges of breaking and entering, conspiracy to breaking and entering, destruction of property, and attempted grand larceny.
Huntington Police and Beckley Police arrested Wright and Staunton in June 2012 for their roles in the alleged crime.
In the early morning hours of April 4, 2012, Huntington Police responded to an alarm call at the Huntington Museum of Art. When officers arrived on scene, they observed a person with a flashlight on the roof of the museum. A K-9 unit was called to the scene and soon located clothing worn by the suspects who had fled into some nearby woods.
Officers then located an abandoned U-haul truck on the grounds of the museum that contained various items of evidence, according to a news release.
During the course of the investigation, police say they learned the U-haul was rented in Beckley by Wright.
Officers also said they recovered tools believed to be used during the break-in and that Wright had bought them at a Lowe's in Beckley just prior to the break-in.
Detectives also say a local pawn shop owner reported that Wright had approached him prior to the attempted theft in an effort to arrange the sale of silver antiquities.
It was the museum’s gallery of silver and portraits of Great Britain that had been broken into and damaged in the attempted theft.
The indictment says the men caused more than $80,000 to the museum.
This was the first attempted break-in at the museum in its 60-year history.
According to the W.Va. Division of Corrections, Wright is currently serving time for robbery/attempted robbery out of Raleigh County.
Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.