WSAZ | Kentucky | News

UPDATE: Father Sentenced in Child Assault Case

By: WSAZ News Staff Email
By: WSAZ News Staff Email

UPDATE 8/23/13
LOUISA, Ky. (WSAZ) -- A father charged him with abusing his 2-month-old son has been sentenced to prison for 20 years.

Last month, Nicholas "Nick" Ballou, 25, of Sandy Hook, made an Alford plea to two counts of criminal abuse.

Prosecutors and Kentucky State Police say the charges stem from an incident in August 2011 when Ballou was home alone with his son, Landyn. According to troopers, the child suffered multiple skull fractures and brain injuries.

His ex-wife said Ballou told her the baby choked on his bottle.

She says Landyn has cerebral palsy, permanent brain damage and is legally blind due to his injuries.

On Friday during a hearing in Lawrence County Circuit court, Ballou was sentenced to 10 years on each count to be served consecutively. He was given 295 days credit for time served and must serve 85 percent of the sentence.

Before sentencing, Landyn’s mother, Amy, addressed the court.



UPDATE 7/23/13
LOUISA, Ky. (WSAZ) -- A father has made a plea deal in a case that charged him with abusing his 2-month-old son.

Nicholas "Nick" Ballou, made a plea deal in Lawrence County Circuit Court this week.

Prosecutors and Kentucky State Police say the charges stem from an incident in August 2011 when Ballou was home alone with his son, Landyn. According to troopers, the child suffered multiple skull fractures and brain injuries.

His ex-wife said Ballou told her the baby choked on his bottle.

She says Landyn has cerebral palsy, permanent brain damage and is legally blind due to his injuries.

According to the Lawrence County Commonwealth Attorney's Office, Ballou made an Alford Plea to two counts of criminal abuse. One of the counts was amended from the original charge of 1st degree assault.

That means that Ballou does not admit to the crime, but accepts the punishment.

In the plea deal, the criminal abuse charge was dropped.

Ballou will be sentenced next month. The Commonwealth Attorney's Office says he will be sentenced to 20 years and have to serve 85 percent of that sentence.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.



UPDATE 11/9/12 @ 11 a.m.
LOUISA, Ky. (WSAZ) -- A father charged with assault and abuse of his then two-month-old son was in court Friday morning.

Nicholas "Nick" Ballou, 24, of Louisa, Ky., was arrested in Elliott County earlier this month.

In August, a Lawrence County Grand Jury indicted Ballou on the charges. He had been on the run until he was arrested.

Ballou was arraigned Friday in Lawrence County Circuit Court.

Prosecutors, and Kentucky State Police, say the charges stem from an incident in August 2011 when Ballou was home alone with his son. According to troopers, the child suffered multiple skull fractures and brain injuries.

Earlier this year, Ballou’s now ex-wife, Amy, said that Nick told her that Landyn choked on his baby bottle.

“He was navy blue and barely even alive -- he had three skull fractures,” Amy told WSAZ.com.

Landyn, now 16-months-old, has cerebral palsy, permanent brain damage and is legally blind, according to his mother. She also says he is seeing a little better.

During Friday’s arraignment, Ballou pleaded not guilty to the charges. The judge also denied his request for a reduction in bond.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for the latest information.



UPDATE 11/2/12 @ 11:30 p.m.
ELLIOTT COUNTY, Ky. (WSAZ) -- A father who has been on the run for nearly three months after being indicted on felony child assault and abuse charges was arrested late Thursday night in Elliott County, Kentucky State Police say.

Nicholas "Nick" Ballou, 24, of Louisa, Ky., was arrested at a home along Wallow Hole Road in Elliott County. He was arrested without incident and is now in Big Sandy Regional Detention Center.

Ballou was indicted by a Lawrence County grand jury.

The charges stem from an incident on Aug. 11, 2011, when Ballou was home alone with his 2-month-old son. According to Kentucky State Police, the child suffered multiple skull fractures and brain injuries.

The mother of the child told WSAZ.com that the child now has cerebral palsy, permanent brain damage and is blind.



UPDATE 8/15/12 @ 5:40 p.m.
LOUISA, Ky. (WSAZ) -- A manhunt is underway for someone police call a child abuser. The victim, now blind for life, is the young father's now 14-month-old son.

It was a father home alone with his then 2-month-old son. He says there was an accident.

But, after a lengthy police investigation, a grand jury handed down a felony child assault and abuse indictment last Friday. And for little Landyn's mother, there's a cry for justice for a child who's life was changed forever that August 2011 day.

Amy Ballou says right after they had their first child Madison, her now ex-husband Nick Ballou changed.

“The person he said he was wasn't who he really was,” Amy said.

Amy says that day a year ago at their home along Old Lick Creek Road in Louisa, Nick called her to say that then 2-month-old Landyn had choked on his baby bottle.

“He was navy blue and barely even alive -- he had three skull fractures,” Amy said.

Nick never called 911.

Those injuries came along with what police say was severe brain trauma.

Now, Amy says Landyn has developed cerebral palsy, that he is blind and will need and get loving, lifelong care.

“Landyn will never have his life back; his father doesn't deserve any sort of life either," Amy said.

Kentucky State Police say after last Fridays felony child abuse and assault charges were filed, the 24-year-old suspect became a fugitive -- and is on the run.

Amy says Nick did not abuse drugs or alcohol, just his temper and her son. She says it may have occurred from right after Landyn's birth.

“He had two rib fractures when he was 6-weeks-old," Amy said. "I hope he never has any other kids to where he could possibly hurt them again because he apparently can not control what he does.”

Amy says she doesn't know what happened when Nick was last alone with Landyn. But, she says a baby can’t get three skull fractures and it is an accident -- and a grand jury agreed.

If you have any information that might help investigators locate Nick Ballou, you're asked to call the Kentucky State Police Ashland post or your county 911 center.



ORIGINAL STORY
LOUISA, Ky. (WSAZ) -- A father is on the run, facing charges of causing major brain damage to his 2-month-old child.

A Lawrence County Grand Jury indicted Nicholas Ballou, 24, of Louisa, with felony child assault and abuse.

The charge stems from an incident on Aug. 11, 2011 when Ballou was home alone with the child. According to the Kentucky State Police, the child suffered multiple skull fractures and brain injuries.

The mother of the child tells WSAZ.com that the child now has cerebral palsy, permanent brain damage and is blind.

Deputies are currently searching for Ballou.

If you have any information on where Ballou may be, please call the Kentucky State Police or your local 911 center.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 166307666 - wsaz.com/a?a=166307666