UPDATE 4/9/14 @ 1:50 p.m.
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (AP) - Workers are digging away to retrieve the last of eight classic Corvettes gobbled up by a giant sinkhole beneath the National Corvette Museum in Kentucky.
The last car buried is a 2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette. The vehicle is upside down, about 40 feet beneath the surface.
Museum spokeswoman Katie Frassinelli says the workers hope to recover the car Wednesday or Thursday.
The prized cars were swallowed by the sinkhole that opened up in February beneath part of the domed section of the museum in Bowling Green.
Frassinelli says the damage has been progressively worse as each car was pulled out in recent weeks.
The eight cars will be on display at the museum through August. They will be shipped to a General Motors plant in Michigan to be repaired.
Museum spokeswoman Katie Frassinelli says the cars will go on display before they're taken to Michigan for repairs. She says the museum has heard from people wanting to see the damage.
The vehicles were consumed when the earth opened up last week beneath a display area when the Bowling Green museum was closed. No injuries were reported.
Frassinelli says work to retrieve the cars nearest the surface could start in a couple of weeks.
She says the museum plans to display the damaged cars from April through July.
More cars will be added when recovered. Chevrolet is in charge of restoring the cars.
GM's head of global product development Mark Reuss said Thursday the damaged vehicles are some of the most significant in auto history.
He says the company wants to restore as many of them as possible so auto fans can enjoy them.
The sinkhole consumed eight prized cars like they were toys early Wednesday when the museum was closed. Six of the cars are owned by the museum in Bowling Green, Ky., and two are on loan from General Motors.
The cars include a 1992 white 1 millionth Corvette and a 2009 white 1.5 millionth Corvette.
Chevrolet says the restoration will be done in Michigan.
Bowling Green city spokeswoman Kim Lancaster says the hole opened up at around 5:40 a.m. CST Wednesday, setting off an alarm and a call to the fire department.
The hole is in part of the domed section of the museum, and that area will remain closed. That's an original part of the facility for which construction began in 1992 and was completed in 1994.
Lancaster says information is still being gathered about what exactly happened, but this appears to be the first incident of its kind at the property.
No injuries have been reported.