NEW INFO: Name Released in Charleston Overdose Death; Charges Pending

By: Rahel Solomon, Alex Snyder Email
By: Rahel Solomon, Alex Snyder Email

UPDATE 2/11/13
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- The name of the man killed by an overdose on Charleston's West Side has now been released.

Police say John Michael Jones, 54, was killed as a result of that overdose. Foul play is not said to be a factor in his death.

Investigators say they are still waiting for the results of the toxicology report. It is still unknown what type of drugs were taken.

The overdose happened in a house on Red Oak Street. Neighbors say a lot of foot traffic could frequently be seen at the home.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Charges could soon be filed in a death case police say was caused from a drug overdose.

Investigators say suspects in a house on Red Oak Street were doing drugs Saturday night when one of them overdosed but the other suspects didn’t call 911 until about 9 o’clock Sunday morning.

Neighbors woke up to a blocked off street, police tape and several cruisers.

Many of them had their suspicions, seeing traffic in and out of the home at all hours of the day and night.

"Drugs because it's the West Side," said an unidentified neighbor.

Police say the alleged victim was given CPR to keep him breathing but by morning, it was too late, the man had died.

"And apparently struggled for his life all night. He was in and out of consciousness. The group he was with was using water to throw on his face and apparently even had to do CPR one time," said chief of detectives, Steve Cooper with the Charleston Police Department.

The man who lives in the house were it happened was questioned by police and they’re trying to track down others who were also there.

"Just kind of scared that it's happening around here, you know, usually this block's quiet until these people moved in and then, you know, I've seen nothing but traffic come in and out -- and I don't know what's going on," said the neighbor.

No drugs were in the house when police were there but charges could follow for those who didn’t help the dying man.

The name of the man who overdosed as not been released.

Police have turned the evidence over to the prosecutors office. They are waiting on the autopsy report before filing any charges.

Keep clicking for the latest information.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSAZ NewsChannel 3 645 Fifth Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 304-697-4780 WSAZ Charleston 111 Columbia Avenue Charleston, WV 25302 304-344-3521
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 188600171 -