BARBOURSVILLE, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Seth Adkins is a home inspector and has been under thousands of houses. On Sunday, July 24, his air conditioner filter needed to be changed, so under he went.
"While I was in the crawl space, it came through the A/C unit," Adkins said, "and hit me while I was changing the filter. It came through my arm and out the back of my neck."
Lightning had struck near is home and was transferred through his wiring as he changed the filter. The strike knocked him cold.
"I don't know how long I was knocked out," Adkins said, "but my wife came to check on me. I was crawling out of the space, and I was covered in blood around my shoulders and shirt. I must have known something. She said one of the phrases I kept repeating was, 'I took quite a shock. I took quite a shock.' "
Lightning can carry 100 million volts of electricity and can be quite deadly. Adkins' kids were nearby.
"I was concerned because my kids were in there with me," he said. "I let my son go because he thinks it's neat to go under the house."
Adkins' wife took him to the hospital for a CAT scan and some other tests, which all turned out fine. On the following Monday, he was still unsure.
"I didn't really know what was going on until I got on Facebook and saw all the prayer requests from my family because of the lightning. This could've been a very different story."