Huntington continues knocking down dilapidated homes

Published: Jan. 4, 2021 at 9:40 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) - City of Huntington leaders says they are continuing to knock down more dilapidated properties.

In early November, the city announced plans to tear down 119 homes from the unsafe building list by June 30.

So far, the city has taken down 17 properties, at least four homes on 27th Street.

“We got people here that truly want to make a difference,” said Shoshanah Johnson.

Johnson, who’s originally from Mason County, moved to Huntington a year ago. She lives besides two abandoned homes that are on the unsafe building list.

“I see the possibility for plants and trees to come back and live here,” Johnson said.

Over on 5th Avenue in Guyandotte, another home damaged by a fire years ago was knocked down Monday. Eleven more are ready and waiting to be torn down.

“It’s love, it’s just basic love. Love not only for the immediate community but for the surrounding Huntington,” Johnson said.

Some neighbors like Charles Henderson says he hopes the bulldozing will also remove some of the illegal activity that seems to seep into the abandoned properties.

“They sit up on them steps all the time and do drugs,” Henderson said. “I (saw) a guy last year who fell from the top, I thought he died.”

A duplex in the 1600 block of Artisan Avenue caught fire last week and was added to the list as an emergency demolition on Monday.

Another 27 structures are being tested for asbestos and 25 others are in line for abatement.

Copyright 2021 WSAZ. All rights reserved.