Warming centers opening across the region
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) - Warming centers are opening for those who are without power.
Some centers say you will be required to wear a mask and to social distance due to COVID-19.
A few of these centers are temporary warming stations only, not shelters.
Some of these warming centers and shelters are set up based on need. Therefore, if no one shows up, they may not be open.
- Barboursville Community Center - 721 Central Avenue, Barboursville - open until further notice (warming station only, not a shelter)
- A.D. Lewis Community Center - 1450 A.D. Lewis Avenue, Huntington - open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Pets are welcome but must be leashed.
- New Baptist Church, 610 28th St., Huntington. Will accommodate service animals but unable to take pets (open 24/7)
- Salvation Army - 301 Tennessee Avenue, Charleston - open from 9 p.m. Friday to 7 p.m. Saturday
- Flatrock Volunteer Fire Department and Leon Town Hall in Mason County. Facial covering mandatory and social distancing emphasized. Devices may be charged but no showers or food services
- Wayne Community Center - 11580 WV-152, Wayne
- Salvation Army - 1227 3rd Avenue, Huntington - open until 8 a.m. Wednesday
- Teays Valley Church of God - 185 Connection Point, Scott Depot - opens at 12 p.m. Tuesday. (call 304-586-0246 if you are in need of transportation)
- Hansford Senior Center - 500 Washington St. Saint Albans - open 8 p.m. Tuesday to 8 a.m. Wednesday
- First Church of the Nazarene, 321 30th Street, Huntington - open 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Winfield Community Center - 178 Second St, Winfield
- YMCA of Huntington - Click here for more information.
- Mountain Health Arena - 1 Center Plaza, Huntington - open until 8 p.m. Wednesday and will be open from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. daily. Enter from the 8th Street side. (Service animals allowed) (warming station only, not a shelter)
- Valley Park Conference Center - 1 Valley Park Dr, Hurricane- opens at 5 p.m. Wednesday (call 304-586-0246 if you are in need of transportation)
- St. Peter’s Episcopal Church - 2248 Adams Ave, Huntington. Opens at 8 p.m. Thursday. 25 person limit.
- Salt Rock Senior Center - 5490 WV-10, Salt Rock - Open 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. (warming station only, not a shelter)
- Boyd County Convention Center - 15605 State Route 180, Catlettsburg
- Louisa Senior Center, 101 W. Pike St., Louisa
- Raceland American Legion - 439 Greenup Ave, Raceland - opening at 2 p.m.
- Raceland Senior Center, 711 Chinn Street, Raceland
- Floyd County Rescue Squad - 132 Cliff Road, Prestonsburg
- Irene Cole Baptist Church - 157 Riverfront Ave, Prestonsburg
- Martin Community Center - KY Route 80, Warco
- Prestonsburg City Hall - 200 N Lake Drive, Prestonsburg
- Allen Volunteer Fire Department - 142 Court Street, Allen
- New Hope United Methodist church - 111 Township Road 1139, Proctorville - In addition to a warming center, this location provides overnight shelter and has shower facilities. Please call the church at (740) 886-5311 in advance.
- Fayette Township Warming Station - 7861 County Road 1, South Point - 12 p.m. until 6 p.m. through at least Friday, Feb. 26.
- Faith and Fitness Center - 400 Vernon Street, Ironton - Please call Eric Barnes in advance at (740) 442-7750
- Salvation Army Warming Station - 1001 9th Street, Portsmouth - opens at 8:30 p.m.
- Perry Township Fire Department - 4633 SR 243 - open daily from 5 p.m. until 7 p.m. through at least Saturday. Feb. 27
- Perry Township Fire Department - 649 County Road 1 - open daily from 5 p.m. until 7 p.m. through at least Saturday. Feb. 27
- Ohio University Southern (Ironton Campus Rotunda) - 1804 Liberty Ave, Ironton - open from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. Facility can be used for charging phones and internet access.
- Ohio University Southern (Proctorville Center) - 111 Private Drive 516, Proctorville - open from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. Facility can be used for charging phones and internet access.
- Decatur Township Fire Department - open from 2 p.m. until 4 p.m. Sunday, February 21.
- Windsor Township Fire Department - open from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. through Sunday, Feb. 28.
- Aid Township Fire Department - open from 12 p.m. through 3 p.m. through Sunday, Feb. 28
- New Hope United Methodist Church - on call Sunday, Feb. 21, but daily operations begin Monday, Feb. 22 from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.
If you know of any more warming centers or shelters, email email@example.com and we will add it!
Copyright 2021 WSAZ. All rights reserved.