Advertisement

Fire leaves 51 senior living residents in the dark

Updated: Jun. 19, 2021 at 7:45 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ST. ALBANS, W.Va. (WSAZ) - Update 6/19/2021 @ 8:55 p.m.

Alma Taylor was woken to the sound of fire alarms.

“It kept going off and going off so went into the lobby where everyone was at,” said Taylor.

She went to the parking lot of her complex senior living complex, Knollview Village Apartments, where she discovered the complex would be without power.

“And they were talking about how it would be 3-4 days before we had power,” said Taylor.

She waited as firefighters worked and followed smoke to the electrical room of the complex.

The issue affected power to the complex and melted several electrical boxes. Kanawha County Emergency Management said 48 units and 51 residents are now in the dark until those electrical issues are repaired.

First responders went door-to-door to assess residents inside affected by the outages. A few voluntarily left including some who rely on oxygen tanks to breath an d the electricity to work; others like Taylor chose to stay.

“They asked me if I wanted to go somewhere and I said no I don’t have any place to go and they asked others and they said no I want to stay here,” said Taylor.

EMS officials say representatives of Knollview Village Apartments said they would take care of the situation and their residents.

Taylor said she’s beginning to worry about the days ahead for the place she’s called home for 14 years.

“Just being able to read or watch TV or sleep.. cooking, you can’t cook if you don’t have a microwave,” said Taylor. " I like to have my microwave when I need it I use it more than anything else.”

Throwing out her ice cream in the freezer Taylor hopes the power will be back on soon.

WSAZ has reached out to AEP for more information on the outage.

Original story

An overnight electrical fire has displaced a number of seniors from their apartment building Saturday morning.

No one was injured and there was not any major damage when the flames broke out at the Knollview Village Apartments around 11:30 Friday night, firefighters said.

However, power to the entire building had to be turned off to prevent another electrical fire from starting.

Firefighters said repairs need to be made before it is safe to turn the electricity back on, and it could take up to a week to fix the issue.

This has created a major problem since many of the building’s residents are on oxygen.

First responders and the Red Cross are assisting people who need to move out of the building until the power is restored.

St. Albans, West Side, Jefferson and Hurricane Fire Departments responded to the scene to put out the fire.

Copyright 2021 WSAZ. All rights reserved.