Advertisement

Community reaches out to apartment fire victims

Published: Oct. 14, 2021 at 9:19 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

KENOVA, W.Va. (WSAZ) - A kitchen appliance malfunctioned and sparked a fire that destroyed an apartment Wednesday, fire officials say.

The fire was reported along Oak Street.

Crews with Kenova and Ceredo Fire departments were able to contain the flames to the apartment before it spread to any others.

Crews say minimal smoke was reported throughout the apartment building.

Minor water damage was reported in the apartment below the unit where the fire was contained.

According to the Kenova Fire Department, the fire was knocked out in roughly 20 minutes.

The Kenova Fire Department says the fire started after an air fryer malfunctioned.

The Red Cross was contacted to assist anyone displaced by the fire.

Four fire engines, two ladder trucks and two ambulances responded to the scene.

The community has already stepped in to help.

The Spring Valley Football organization has already raised more than $1,000 in donations.

They’re also accepting any clothing people want to donate as well in the following sizes:

-Men’s 3X shirt

-Men’s 2X pants

-Men’s size 13 shoes

-Women’s 16-18 clothes

-Women’s size 8.5 shoes

Keep checking the WSAZ app for the latest information.

Copyright 2021 WSAZ. All rights reserved.