Construction of Hal Greer Boulevard Corridor project to begin soon
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) – West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice signed a $13 million contract on Friday, clearing the way for the start of a project set to redevelop Hal Greer Boulevard.
The city of Huntington, the West Virginia Department of Transportation’s Division of Highways, and KYOVA Interstate Planning Commission have partnered on a roadway project to improve connectivity and safety on Hal Greer from 3rd Avenue to Kinetic Drive.
The Hal Greer Boulevard Rehabilitation Program contract has been awarded to Triton Construction Inc., with a low bid of $13,551,000.
The project will be done in three phases and will also transform the corridor into a welcoming gateway and community asset, officials say.
Construction from 3rd Avenue to Washington Boulevard is set to begin shortly.
Some project features will include a greenspace along the Hal Greer corridor, newly paved crosswalks, improved traffic signal timing, expanded sidewalks, a protected bike lane from 3rd Avenue to 7th. Avenue, a protected pedestrian and bike path under the viaduct, added on-street parking near Marshall University’s campus, realigned intersections at 10th Avenue and Charleston Avenue, and improved lighting.
“You’ve got unsafe conditions, you’ve got potholes you can’t even get to the convenient store or whatever it may be,” said Gov. Justice. “You have a real turn off for whoever may want to come.”
This is a project 10 years in the making.
“We’re making sure folks know when they come into the Ohio River Valley and look at Huntington, West Virginia, that this is the bright, bright, brilliant shining light between Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Louisville,” Huntington Mayor Steve Williams said. “We’re doing this because of the partnership we have with you, Governor. You’re forward-thinking, and we’re now looking at the next 50 years.”
“When I first became mayor there was a lady who was crossing the street at Cabell Huntington Hospital, someone was coming in, it was in the evening time, someone hit her and killed her,” said Huntington Mayor Steve Williams. “That just shows you how long it takes for us to get these things together.”
During Friday’s signing, officials said building demolitions will begin in February and dirt will start moving in March.
According to city and state officials, phase one and two, which are expected to cost $12,364,322, have been funded by KYOVA Interstate Planning Commission.
Phase three of the project will consist of the area from Hal Greer Boulevard to Kinetic Park Drive. Construction plans and funding for phase three have not been finalized.
The city of Huntington will contribute 20% of the project’s cost. The remaining 80% is funded through a federal grant with the West Virginia Division of Highways serving as a conduit for the funds.
Other partners who aided in the project’s planning include Marshall Health, Thundercloud, Fairfield Alliance, Fairfield Community Development Corporation, A.D. Lewis Community Center, Cabell Huntington Hospital, Mountain Health Network, Huntington Housing Authority, Corridor Businesses, and residents of the area. The project was awarded from a bid letting held Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2022.
This is a developing story.
Keep checking the WSAZ app for the latest information.
Copyright 2022 WSAZ. All rights reserved.