Maintenance worker dies after electrocution incident at shopping center

Published: Jul. 11, 2023 at 10:02 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ST. ALBANS, W.Va. (WSAZ) - A man died Tuesday afternoon after he was reportedly electrocuted during an incident at a shopping center in St. Albans, according to St. Albans Police.

The incident was reported just after 3:45 p.m. in the 1400 block of MacCorkle Avenue.

Police say the man, a 42-year-old maintenance worker, was unresponsive when first responders arrived. They said he was on lift equipment inside the shopping center when the incident happened. A second maintenance worker who was on the lift was treated and released at the scene.

Investigators say the man who died passed away from his injuries at Thomas Memorial Hospital.

St. Albans Police Chief Marc Gilbert said the victim had recently started with the maintenance company. Gilbert explained the pair was working on lighting maintenance when the man who died touched a live wire and bumped into the other maintenance worker. That worker then quickly shut the power off.

Gilbert said the pair was the only two in the building at the time. Occupation Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) officials were on the scene within 15 minutes.

OSHA said the company contracted for maintenance at the mall is RPM Facility Services LLC.

RPM declined to comment on the situation.

In a statement to WSAZ, OSHA confirmed an investigation opened up into RPM on Thursday, adding the company does not have any previous history with OSHA.

The agency will have six months to complete an investigation and release its findings.

The company that owns the unoccupied portion of the mall is RD Management, based out of New York City.

Keep checking the WSAZ app for the latest.