Advertisement

Family of 3 escapes burning home; two jump from second floor roof

(WSAZ)
Published: Jan. 1, 2018 at 4:35 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
UPDATE 1/1/18 @ 5:43 p.m.

It’s a heartbreaking way for one family in Charleston to start off the New Year, after their home went up in flames early Monday morning.

Fire crews say a severely dehydrated Christmas tree may be to blame. But they’re also crediting a working smoke alarm with saving that family.

It all played out like this: A working smoke alarm goes off just after 4 Monday morning. A man inside that home in the 1100 block of Red Oak Street and goes downstairs to see what’s happening. The fire moves so quickly, he can’t get back upstairs and has to get out.

A woman and child still upstairs have to jump from the roof in order to get to safety.

“Firetrucks. I look outside, there's a sheriff right there,” Jocelyn Thompson said.

Thompson lives right across the narrow street from that house, feet from where the blaze began.

“What if that could have like went to my house or anyone else's house?” she asked.

She said it’s sad to see the aftermath of this family’s life, now just charred remains. But it’s making her a little more thankful this New Year’s Day.

“That's something really scary because what if they didn't make it out. Then that's something to really think about because that happens every day,” Thompson said.

Luckily, fire crews say this family and their pets were not injured, despite that woman and child having to jump from the roof.

Fire crews say they believe the cause was a live Christmas tree that was not properly watered.

The Christmas holiday might be only a memory now, but many of us still have our trees.

You can drop them off at the Capitol Market starting at 10 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 7, if you’re in the Charleston area.

For folks near Huntington, there are five locations trees can be dropped off: St. Clouds Commons, Harris Riverfront Park, Altizer Community Park, the West End at the old Olympic pool property, and Dietz Hollow landfill.

In the meantime, the National Fire Protection Agency advises folks to water the tree daily, or if you’re done with it, take it outside away from your home or garage. And they caution to never leave the tree lights on overnight or when you leave home.


UPDATE 1/1/18 @ 7:39 a.m.

A family of three escaped their burning home early Monday morning, including a woman and child being forced to jump from the second floor roof.

The fire started just after 4 a.m. Monday in the 1100 block of Red Oak St. in Charleston.

Investigators say a smoke alarm went off and a man went downstairs to see what was going on. When he went downstairs, the fire blocked the stairwell. A woman and child upstairs were forced to jump for the second floor roof. The man went out the front door. None of the three were injured.

Crews believe a live Christmas tree that wasn't properly watered started the fire.


UPDATE 1/1/18 @ 6:20 a.m.

When fire crews arrived on scene shortly after 4 a.m. Monday morning, they witnessed flames shooting out the the residence.

Investigators say a smoke detector did go off inside the home. When someone inside the home went downstairs to see what was happening, they witnessed the fire, but was unable to return to the second level due to the fast-moving flames.

A man, woman and son were all able to make it out safely, as well as their two dogs.

The woman and her son were forced to jump off of the roof to safety.

Crews believe a live Christmas tree that wasn't properly watered sparked the flames.

No one was injured.


ORIGINAL STORY 1/1/18 @ 5 a.m.

Fire crews are battling a fire in the 1100 block of Red Oak St. in Charleston.

The fire started just after 4 Monday morning. Firefighters say three people were inside... all three got out safely.

No other details are available.

We have a crew at the scene.

Keep clicking WSAZ Mobile and WSAZ.com for the latest information.